Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! 5 yr old cookery class, recipe needs to be fast and easy.. ideas??

(13 Posts)
joster Tue 15-Sep-09 20:05:06

Your ideas please!
Have been pressganged volunteered for cookery in my son's Reception class - it is five children and I believe I have about 30 mins to measure, make and bake something that can be made in sufficient quantities for about 20 children to each take one, or a bit of something, home.

Oh, and I am on my own - no teacher with me etc, so also need to keep kids under control whilst making whatever it happens to be.

I am a reasonable cook for regular meals, but utterly hopeless at pudding type stuff, eg. cup cakes are a total no-no. I once made cup cakes and they were SO BAD looking that I said the children had done it on their own, even then, my husband said "god, they look dreadful".

liahgen Tue 15-Sep-09 20:06:13

does it have to be baked?

What about some truffles or similar?

liahgen Tue 15-Sep-09 20:08:34

happy face sandwich

cookielove Tue 15-Sep-09 20:08:39

biscuit cake - but will require alot of adult supervsion, as you need to melt butter although that could be done in the microwave

You could make mini pizzas and if you use something like english muffins it makes it easier as everyone has the same size or you could make your own dough which is always fun

joster Tue 15-Sep-09 20:08:42

You are right, strictly does not need to be baked. You mean truffles of the chocolate variety there??? Are these foolproofly easy?!

CybilLiberty Tue 15-Sep-09 20:10:10

If you ARE cooking something, take some activites for the children to do while they cook.

TheArmadillo Tue 15-Sep-09 20:10:54

basic biscuits - can't really go wrong with it and they cook in about 10 mins or less.

Basic recipe (makes about 30)

250g butter , softened
140g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour

cream butter and sugar then chuck in rest. Add assorted toppings (sprinkles, choc chips, etc - have little pots of them).

Stick in oven on around 220. Remove 10 mins later.

CMOTdibbler Tue 15-Sep-09 20:15:31

Muffins are a dead cert - they only need the briefest of stirrings, theres no creaming, and the children can do a lot. Certainly my 3 year old can take a full part.

Carrot and pineapple muffins are tasty and fairly low sugar - this recipe is like one I have been using for years.

You can measure out the fiddly bits in advance, so all they do is measure the sugar, flour, oil and raisins, chuck everything together then stir.

If you want them to grate the carrot, then a mouli grater is quick and safe to use

stressedHEmum Wed 16-Sep-09 08:31:50

When one of my kids was in P1 cookery club, they made things like fruit kebabs, pizza (using ready made little pizza bases), smoothies. spider biscuits and smoothies.

All the kids really enjoted it and loved scoffing the results, especially the fruit kebabs. These were really easy, just a load of fruit that the kids could cut up without too much help.

you're brave

Deemented Wed 16-Sep-09 18:35:47

Chocolate Crispie Cakes.

CharlotteVV Thu 17-Sep-09 11:37:48

How about pizzas for something savoury? Or something a bit fun and themed like this:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/caterpillar-potato-croquettes/

mumzy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:30:49

Fresh fruit salad just a bit of peeling and chopping up then add fruit juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now