Talk

Advanced search

economy gastromomy - anyone trying harder with their leftovers?

(7 Posts)
deaconblue Tue 15-Sep-09 19:58:37

this week I have made strawberry milk for the kids with slightly manky fruit, bread and butter pud with leftover bread and single cream, and a pork curry with leftover sunday roast. am feeling quite smug

StirlingIsFedUpOfTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 22:44:58

Definitely!

I plan every sunday dinner now to make a second dinner for Monday.

For the last two days I have made milkshakes with slightly soft bananas and blueberries.

And yes, I feel smug when it all works out well - Love Food Hate Waste

AvadaKedavra Wed 16-Sep-09 12:40:03

Not because of the show as I haven't seen it, but I have been trying to not just munch any leftovers of an evening and actually use them for a meal the next day or freeze to add other bits to.

I've got a beef stew in the slow cooker which will make 2 nights dinners for us all and planning on blitzing what's left over after that into soup for the freezer. I'll portion it up when it's done though before picky fingers get to it wink

KIttyWalker Wed 16-Sep-09 12:40:38

No but it has got me thinking and I have ordered the book.

MrsMagnolia Wed 16-Sep-09 14:43:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlotteVV Thu 17-Sep-09 11:00:45

Me too, I freeze up stuff just in case it gets forgotten about for days I can't think of what to eat or I have nothing in or I can;t be bothered. I also make my Sunday dinner last for a couple of extra days with the veggies and leftover bits of meat.

I always roast mediterranean vegetables when I do a Sunday roast as they are yummy tossed in couscous or in a panini the next day.....

AvadaKedavra Thu 17-Sep-09 11:22:44

I've just watched the first two shows on Iplayer - I'll be making that biriyani for sure!

I already do what they call a bedrock recipe - ie a huge vat of mince that will then be used for stew, mince and tatties, cottage pie, curry, chilli so there's nothing new there.

I really am making efforts to save up all the odds and sods that get left over, like a bit of mash I am going to freeze it until I have enough for fishcakes for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now