Talk

Advanced search

Cheese fondue

(14 Posts)
SomeGuy Tue 15-Sep-09 17:55:09

Have gruyere, emmental, Co-op french baguette, home-baked granary bread. Have no kirsch, do have a fairly sweet cherry beer, also white wine, gin, Pimms.

What would be a good recipe for me to use?

SomeGuy Tue 15-Sep-09 17:59:49

scratch that, it's raspberry beer I have, cherry is out.

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 18:05:35

I googled a real proper Swiss recipe and it states

It is calculated per person between 150g and 250g cheese (2 thirds mature Gruyere, Emmentaler cheese mature third),

- About 800g cheese
- 4 dl dry, acidic, tangy white wine (per 200g cheese 1 dl white wine)
- 2-3 teaspoon cornflour coated
- 1 small glass of cherry (or water)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- About 500g of bread (white bread, baguette)
- Pepper and nutmeg

Preparation:
The cheese and the wine should be room temperature.

Crush the garlic into small pieces rub the cheese pan with it.

Grate the cheese and allow to melt slowly, together with the wine over low heat about 20-30 minutes on the stove Caquelon (cheese pan) by constant stirring.

When the cheese is completely melted, stir the cornflour with the lemon juice in a glass and add Kirsch.

With further stirring, about 2 minutes on high flame cook until creamy, season with pepper and nutmeg and serve.

I think that you can leave out the Kirsch and it will be ok.

SomeGuy Tue 15-Sep-09 18:09:23

Thanks. I think I will leave out the cheddar though.

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 19:31:41

Good idea, I think that the cheddar would drown out the taste of the other cheeses.

SomeGuy Tue 15-Sep-09 20:03:30

hmm. It wasn't very successful. Tried putting cheese pot on one of those warming trays, but it wasn't hot enough and the cheese went cold and hard almost immediately.

Won't try that again.

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 20:23:03

Here in the restaurants they have little stoves under the cheese pots, with a wee gas burner.

Do you have a proper fondue set?

Or could it have been the missing Kirsch? I can ask a local friend for advice if you want.

AvengingGerbil Tue 15-Sep-09 20:24:46

You need arrowroot, I think, to help it not clag up.

janeite Tue 15-Sep-09 20:28:33

Pmsl at Pimms fondue!

Have never made/tried cheese fondue. Do I want to?

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 20:31:42

I have tried it in one of local restaurants here in Geneva.

Tis very cheesy

I like it, but only have a taste of DH's fondue as a whole portion of fondue is too much for me.

TigerFeet Tue 15-Sep-09 20:33:59

Mmm I love fondue

When I was in Switzerland they dunked boiled baby potatoes into it as well as bread - yum.

Once the cheese had all gone my uncle cracked an egg into the pot to mop up the cheesy scrapings... slightly less yum.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 15-Sep-09 20:51:35

Emmental is the wrong texture when melted. I have been told never to use it in fondue and it's so much better when you don't.

I do 40% gruyere, 40% comté, 20% Appenzell, the rest the same as Mme Lindt's recipe.

SomeGuy Tue 15-Sep-09 21:08:24

I was going to put some cornflour in it, but it seemed it was thick enough already, but I guess it might have stopped it coagulating quite so quickly.

We have a gas grill so I think should have put the pot on there to keep it HOT.

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 21:23:49

Othersideofthechannel
That is interesting, about the Emmentaler. The fondue website states that you can use Vacherin cheese instead, or Alpenzeller. If you can get them in UK.

This is the website. I used google translate to do a quick translation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now