Talk

Advanced search

if i opened a block of cheese on Thursday...and it actually says it should be consumed with 4 days of opening....

(14 Posts)
cutekids Tue 15-Sep-09 16:32:54

do I have to chuck it?I'm not a cheese-eater but two of my kids and my hubbie are.My hubbie reckons "cheese lasts forever" but i'm a little bit scared of going over the four days.however,there's loads left and I don't want to chuck it if I don't have to.Anyone?

DiamondHead Tue 15-Sep-09 16:34:19

Eat it.

jooseyfruit Tue 15-Sep-09 16:35:03

you can freeze cheddar type hard cheese.

onehitwonder Tue 15-Sep-09 16:37:16

I think it depends on the cheese. Hard cheese like chedder etc I would happily eat until it literally started growing mould. Soft cream cheese or unpasturised cheeses I would be a bit more wary of exceeding the date. Soft cheeses like Brie etc definately go off eventually - when they start smelling of amonia - friends from france brought one over once on the train during summer and it literally stung your eyes when you sniffed it grin.

potplant Tue 15-Sep-09 16:37:21

When it goes green and furry - chuck it.

I have heard talk on here that you grate and freeze cheese if you've got too much but it doesn't last that long in my house so never tried it.

shinyshoes Tue 15-Sep-09 16:41:53

It has to be eaten with 4 days. Does cheese really say this on the packet. Well I never knew that I bin it when it starts growing a rather fetching fur coat. We eat loads of cheddar in this house.

Eat it don't waste cheese mmmm <is hankering after cheese on toast now>

cutekids Tue 15-Sep-09 16:50:29

Oh right....so it's perfectly fine then.Thanks everyone

MmeLindt Tue 15-Sep-09 16:52:50

I live in Switzerland (Cheese heaven) and would never think about throwing out cheese after just 4 days. They last weeks in our house.

Well, they don't actually, but they could

EyeballsintheSky Tue 15-Sep-09 16:56:37

God almighty I'd be buying new cheese every day if that were the case. If it's green don't eat it, if it's yellow it's fine

mmrsceptic Tue 15-Sep-09 17:00:06

cheddar type cheese?

back in the olden days cheese would be made in enormous wheels and kept in a cold larder for the winter

ie green bits don't eat but won't kill you
slimy bits don't eat but won't kill you
hard bits -- grill

TigerFeet Tue 15-Sep-09 17:02:12

God no, don't chuck it out. I generally chop off the furry bits if cheese ever lasts that long in this house, the rest of the cheese underneath is fine.

pooexplosions Tue 15-Sep-09 19:32:42

You know the cheese can't count days, don't you, and won't spontaneously combust after 4 days?

What kind of cheese says four days anyway? Maybe a fresh cheese, but even then.....

meltedmarsbars Wed 16-Sep-09 09:29:10

And the govt are considering taking use-by dates off cheese - its an aged product, fgs!

GoldenSnitch Wed 16-Sep-09 09:36:42

I ate furry cheese all the way through uni and I'm still here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now