Talk

Advanced search

quick answer about tonights dinner - butterneut squash

(7 Posts)
LargeLatte Tue 15-Sep-09 14:51:31

Just a quickie. Have got organsied and chopped veg for tonights dinner. Potato and swede in one pot for boiling and mashing later, carrot and butternut squash for boiling and roasting in another.

Question is - is it ok to just store the butternut squash and carrot in saucepan filled with cold water til i need it in about 4 hours time? I do this with potatos and carrots but not tried with butternut squash. Will it be ok or will it go runny /toxic/ grow legs and start running round the kitchen. Your thoughts please....

PrincessToadstool Tue 15-Sep-09 14:52:08

God yes it will be fine!

PrincessToadstool Tue 15-Sep-09 14:52:42

That said do you need to boil before roasting? 40 minutes is plenty to get it squidgy and yummy.

LargeLatte Tue 15-Sep-09 14:53:02

nice typo on the title.... I blame the 2 year old currently smashing his fist into the keyboard.

LargeLatte Tue 15-Sep-09 15:40:59

Thanks for the very speedy reply. I didn't know I could roast without boiling first - I will give it a try. thanks

janeite Tue 15-Sep-09 18:17:05

Yes.

The carrot will take longer than the bns though; I usually par-boil carrots but not bns.

MayorNaze Tue 15-Sep-09 18:20:49

yes - roast squash as it is - i did one earlier to chuck in soup and it took about half and hour tops iirc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now