Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have so much cabbage and so many potatoes

(14 Posts)
janx Tue 15-Sep-09 14:27:39

I am drowning in dark greens and cabbage and potatoes - any ideas - all I can think of is bubble and squeak

MadreInglese Tue 15-Sep-09 14:29:14

soup?

thehairybabysmum Tue 15-Sep-09 14:37:03

i have cut up, blanched and then frozen some red cabbage as also had loads. Not sure if it has worked yet though.

MrsBlennerhasset Tue 15-Sep-09 14:38:21

oh yes, cabbage gives a lovely flavour to soup. Something like Jamie Oliver's MOF Spring Veg soup but with cabbage instead of spinach. Or just a scotch broth type.

Also, this looks nice - Sausage, cabbage and bacon casserole

janx Tue 15-Sep-09 14:40:11

Oh that sounds good - need to go and get some sausages and bacon first

StirlingIsFedUpOfTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 14:41:56

Did a search on Good Food for cabbage and the results are HERE - lots of them smile

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 14:42:25

dal with cabbage is yum

stressedHEmum Tue 15-Sep-09 15:30:07

Try using the greens to make:

greens and beans
greens and butterbean soup
spinach and cheese quiche
spinach(or other greens like chard/kale)lasagna
green pancakes
greens and potato curry
creamy green pasta sauce
tomato and greens pasta sauce

Cabbage:
easy cabbage rolls
coleslaw
beef and cabbage soup
use it finely chopped as a crunchy salad leaf
Stir fry with tomato, shallot, garlic and chilli flakes
pickle it if there is an awful lot.

Potatoes:
potatoes keep for ages in a cool, dark place, especially if they are dirty, so you could store them. Otherwise

potato salad with cabbage, onions, chopped boiled eggs and mayo
potato soup
potato cakes
make a pile of mash, seperate it into patties and freeze individually
patatas bravas
potato curry (with spinach as above or not)
baked potatoes with smoked mackerel and braised onions or leeks
lentil and potato stew (you could add greens to this as well)

Hope these help.

janx Tue 15-Sep-09 15:48:05

My god stressed - you are a walking cabbage recipe book! - thanks v much for all that

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 15-Sep-09 16:19:07

I do the following supper dish from time to time (I guess the quantities according to numbers at table - approx 2 or 3 carrots and pots each???) :

use heavy based pan with lid

peel spuds and chop in to quarters or eigths smallish cubes (roughly 1 1/2 inch squared) and do same with some carrots. Boil or steam together in separate pan for 5- 8 mins or so until beginning to soften but by no means falling apart. Drain and put to one side. Carrots perhaps to go in first depending on variety of pot. Harder variety of potato better for this dish.

Cut up one or perhaps two small onions very finely and fry in blob of butter and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (use more than you usually would as quantity is for entire dish). Leave lid of pan off at this stage.

After 4 or 5 mins add good quality lean smoked bacon (cut in to lardons) or pieces of smoked ham hock or smoked bacon knuckle or similar -

Fry bacon with onion, then after 4 more mins or so add par-boiled carrots and pots, add a sprig or so of fresh thyme, and then at last minute add cabbage that you have finely shredded in advance and with that add 4 or so spoons of liquid (white wine, water, or bit of stock or cider) add a bit of salt (not too much if bacon is salty) loads of black pepper, tiny splodge of balsamic vinegar, a sprinkly of freshly grated nutmeg then put on lid and cook carefully (it should steam really) for 3 mins until cabbage just tender but NOT overdone. (Cabbage sits on top of other ingredients and is steamed - rather than being stirred in - and then half way through cooking time I turn it once so top bits end up on underneath and vice versa. Replace lid when you do this though.)

Serve straight from pan in middle of table - perhaps with sprinkling of fresh parsley and chunk of bread. It's one of those dishes that is more than the sum of its parts iyswim -good for autumnal suppers.

NB - use GOOD quality carrots - and you always need more cabbage than you think as it shrinks down massively.

Hope you enjoy (much easier to prep than I have made it sound!!)

stressedHEmum Tue 15-Sep-09 19:39:58

I grow a lot of chard and spinach beet every year and it almost invariably comes in my box as well, so I have to find loads of ways to cook with it. The kids won't eat plain steamed cabbage off course, or anything else green grin. Their particular favourites are beans and greens and easy cabbage rolls.

Beans and greens

1 bag cannelini beans, soaked overnight
1 large onion, chopped
1tblspn chopped garlic
2tspn dried thyme
1tspn black pepper
good pinch chilli flakes
1 cabbage/bunch spinach/chard/beetroot greens or whatever

Drain beans and put in a big pan with onion, garlic and spices. Add water to cover to the depth of about 2 inches. Add a knob of butter or a splash of oil to control foaming. Bring to the boil and boil hard for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or so until beans are very tender and water has turned into thick, saucy stuff. Add chopped greens and simmer for a few more minutes until cooked. Season as required, now. Serve with rice or bread or mash. You can shake some lemon juice or hot sauce over the beans just before serving if you like. I quite like to sprinkle mine with vinegar, but I am a bit odd.

Easy cabbage rolls

1 good sized cabbage, chopped into little bits
1lb mince
1/2 cup rice
1 onion, chopped
1tspn chopped garlic
1 oxo cube
1 tin condensed cream of tomato soup
1 soup can water
1 500ml carton passata

Brown the mince with the onion, garlic and oxo cube. Scatter 1/2 the cabbage into the bottom of a deep casserole dish. In a bowl, mix the soup, water and passata together. Stir the rice into mince and add 1/2 the liquid. Pour over cabbage. Put the rest of the cabbage on top of the mince and pour over the rest of the liquid. Cover and bake at 160 for about 80 minutes.

Green pancakes are popular here as well.

1 bunch spinach,chard whatever, chopped quite finely
1 onion, chopped
some cooked green beans or runner beans or mangetout, chopped
3 eggs
1/2 cup or so of flour
salt, pepper and nutmeg

Mix everything together in a big bowl to get a dropping batter. Fry by tablespoonfuls in a little oil until golden and crisp on each side. Good with tomato soup or a tomato sauce/salsa for dipping.

CharlotteVV Thu 17-Sep-09 11:23:20

For all things potato, I recommend going onto this website, I've been using it quite alot recently as I've been doing a lot of budget meal planning and potatoes are cheap and filling!

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/budget-meal-planner/

janx Thu 17-Sep-09 19:45:47

I made that meal last night Countingthegreyhairs - it was fab - thanks

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 18-Sep-09 07:55:29

Oh that's brilliant Janx [chuffed emoticon]!! Glad you enjoyed it ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now