Talk

Advanced search

Chutney makers?

(11 Posts)
boogeek Mon 14-Sep-09 19:35:39

I've got mine all weighed out and ready to go - but what with one thing and another today it is about 6 hours later than planned! I don't want to wait up boiling it until 11pm. So I can see no reason why I shouldn't give it maybe 2 hours now then do the slower, careful bit and into jars in the morning. Unless anybody can tell me this is a disaster waiting to happen?

WriggleJiggle Mon 14-Sep-09 19:40:00

That will be absolutely fine. Start it off tonight, then carry on tomorrow.
When you leave it ovenight, leave it with the lid on then it will continue to soften up in the reamining heat.
Yum

boogeek Mon 14-Sep-09 19:48:53

Thanks for the reassurance!
No lid though - is a mammoth preserving pan. I might balance a baking tray on top!

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 20:35:05

Chutney needs the accurate amount of vinegar and sugar to preserve it, and the boiling to kill the bugs before you pot it.

Does it really take 2 hours to make your chutney? what are you cooking? old boots?

boogeek Mon 14-Sep-09 21:07:01

3 hours grin.
It takes ages because you start with a huge volume of vinegar and reduce it.
Every chutney I have ever done (a fair few) has been the same - hours and hours of boiling! Is not unusually boot-like, I promise.

lavenderkate Mon 14-Sep-09 21:33:04

Mine took at least 3 hrs the other night, I was losing the will to live past midnight. The house stank of vinegar.

I would advise do it during the day tomorrow if you can with all windows open!!
Glad its only once a year.

nicefleece Mon 14-Sep-09 21:35:47

I did half and half over a couple of days - it was fine, I covered it with a teatowel overnight.

Then I got bored of it in the morning and whacked up the heat, burnt the pan, but the chutney was still nice!
Have binned the pan (aluminium so needed to change it for senior mental health reasons).

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask... it was nice chutney though, honest!

BigusBumus Mon 14-Sep-09 21:37:22

I would wait till tomorrow also. Mine took longer than the 3 hours i thought it would, especially with warming the jars, cutting wax circles etc, and the cleaning up afterwards was horrendously sticky.

Lilymaid Mon 14-Sep-09 21:38:05

Cover the preserving pan with a clean tea towel or two over night - it will be fine. I do this frequently - chop everything and get jars ready one day and cook the mixture the next day.

lavenderkate Wed 16-Sep-09 20:56:08

Boogeek, how was your chutney?

boogeek Fri 18-Sep-09 09:13:48

Fantastic! Am very proud grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now