Talk

Advanced search

Pies - who makes own pastry and who cheats?

(23 Posts)
Mimi1977 Mon 14-Sep-09 11:53:52

Just wondered, now the weather has turned I'm craving real comfort food and just wondered how many of you buy pastry and how many make it? Is there much of a difference?

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 14-Sep-09 12:01:21

I used to buy all my pastry, but am trying to cut down on food bills. Not that I bought it that often, but it is very expensive - esp the ready rolled stuff!

I now make it in a food processor, sometimes I make a few batches at once and freeze them.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 14-Sep-09 12:02:07

Shortcrust - I make my own. With raynauds it is very easy grin

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Mon 14-Sep-09 12:02:15

I make my own shortcrust as it's so easy, and have occasionally made my own flaky pastry - but if a recipe calls for puff pastry I buy it.

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 12:03:59

make my own. Bought is never as good and you don't know who dropped it on the floor etc grin

gorionine Mon 14-Sep-09 12:05:47

I make my own, exept when I specifically need puff pastry. I have tried to make Puff pastry a few times, it tastes nice but does not really "puff" that much.

It takes me about 5mn to make my own short crust and would take me longer to walk to the corner shop to buy some.

silverwoodhelpdesk Mon 14-Sep-09 12:23:39

Shortcrust is easy, and so much easier than de-frosting bought stuff. When making a Tarte Tatin, you almost have time to make it from scratch whilst the apples are caramelising.

I have made flaky on a couple of occasions, (the first was superb) but the weather and the butter, were too warm on the last occasion and so it didn't flake. Tastier than bought.

Puff, don't puff around, just buy it........life's too short!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 14-Sep-09 12:24:32

I mostly make my own but will buy it occasionally.

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 12:30:32

But just how do Greggs get their sausage roll pastry so lovely and flaky? grin

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 14-Sep-09 12:31:18

make my own shortcrust buy filo and puff.

millenniumfalcon Mon 14-Sep-09 12:32:45

ditto ptpog

MrsJohnDeere Mon 14-Sep-09 12:36:39

Make my own shortcrust pastry - don't think shop bought stuff tastes very nice and it only takes a couple of minutes to knock up my own.

Would probably buy puff or filo if I wanted them but haven't actually done so for many years.

gorionine Mon 14-Sep-09 12:38:26

What is "flaky pastry" is it what I would call "pate brisee fine" with egg instead of water and a little sugar? If so I do my own as well.

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 12:46:43

Flaky pasrty is when the butter is in lumps, the pastry has been folded and rolled, folded and rolled so that it flakes when cooked - mille-feuille?

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 12:48:00

Puff, the butter was one bug lump before being rolled out - is that right?

Pate brisee fine is rich shortcrust, i think.

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 12:48:32

Bug lump? hmm I hope not!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 14-Sep-09 12:54:22

Shortcrust, I always make.

Puff pastry, I always buy

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Mon 14-Sep-09 12:58:37

Flaky pastry - I freeze the butter and then grate it into the flour

Lilymaid Mon 14-Sep-09 13:00:40

For sausage rolls I use this flaky pastry recipe from Delia. Needs time but the actual preparation is quick and easy. It wouldn't work for millefeuilles which need the classic recipe.
I would only ever purchase filo pastry and would make shortcrust pastry using a magimix as I don't have cool hands!

OrmIrian Mon 14-Sep-09 13:02:49

Both at different times.

blametheparents Mon 14-Sep-09 13:05:28

I generally buy both shortcrust and flaky pastry.

gorionine Mon 14-Sep-09 13:13:29

Thanks Meltedmarsbars,I will need to try flaky pastry as well then! I had never heard of it.

I think you are probably right about rich shortcrust = pate brisee fine.

NoahAmin Mon 14-Sep-09 13:24:19

i dont make pies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now