Talk

Advanced search

Second Stage weaning - but DS clamps mouth shut half way through!!!

(5 Posts)
Pupness Fri 03-Jun-05 21:07:38

What to do - it was all going so well - but the last few days, half way through his lovingly steamed fruits and veg he clamps his mouth shut and thats that. He will have his formula but refuses the food. He even smiles through this determined 'clamping'. We do a kind of teir system. We start with the food have a drink then continue with the food. He is teething at the moment and we Calgel 10 mins before the meal, but he is not unhappy, he just stops eating!!!!!!??? Any ideas Mumsnet???

starlover Fri 03-Jun-05 21:20:21

have you tried not offering the formula halfway through?
jsut keep offering the food.

Might be that it's just easier for him to have his milk, so he's holding out for it once he gets bored of eating the food...

madgirl Fri 03-Jun-05 21:23:24

ds2 has been like this for around 5 months (now 11 months) since i started weaning at 6 months. every time he is suffering with his teeth he just wants his milk. you can't force it, but i reckon if you push you can put them off it so i just offer a wide variety but don't increase milk, so that he gets the idea that if he says no to food it's a good way to get milk ( he is a real milk monsther) hth

Catilla Fri 03-Jun-05 22:00:48

My ds has been up and down especially with lumpier food and when teething.
During teething I just offered what I knew he preferred - what he ate best during his first bad teething session was jars of fruit puree from the fridge - seemed to soothe his mouth.

Pupness Sat 04-Jun-05 07:55:49

many thanks - will try and start with the solids and keep going with them as long as I can, then offer the milk. He doesn't seem to be in pain, just once he 'remembers' the mouth clamps and thats the end of it with the occasional giggle and then I whip the spoon in. Will try with the organix ready done fruit puree see how that goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now