Talk

Advanced search

can you make your own peanut butter?

(13 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 10:15:38

Ds (8) loves peanut butter and wants to make some himself - anyone have a recipe?

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 14:45:31

Bump!

louisea Mon 14-Sep-09 21:48:28

Yes you can but you need a very powerful blender unless you like chunky peanut butter. You need to add oil to the nuts as they blend.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 15-Sep-09 08:59:47

Or use a pestle and morter. I used to make it when we lived in Thailand and it was unavailable. Get a handful/bagful of raw nuts, roast them in the oven for a bit to add to the flavour, then put them into the grinder/blender/mortar and grind. Add oil as necessary and salt if required.
Me and dd collected some hazel nuts over the weekend and tried with those. Not recommended.

meltedmarsbars Tue 15-Sep-09 09:44:27

Do I have to remove the skins or get skinned ones? (I mean the red skins)

blametheparents Tue 15-Sep-09 09:54:05

I would really like to try cashew nut butter and can't find it in the shops anywhere. I wonder if the same process would work?
Might give it a go

BexieID Tue 15-Sep-09 10:08:11

Asda do cashew nut butter. Or was it M&S? Pretty sure it was Asda.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 15-Sep-09 10:43:40

I've got cashew butter in a whole food shop in the past. It is possible to make but seems quite bland in comparison to peanut.
Take the papery stuff off before crushing.

Winetimeisfinetime Tue 15-Sep-09 11:00:03

Around here, Tesco and Holland and Barrett sell cashew nut butter. I'm sure you could make it yourself though.

We used to make peanut butter by putting salted peanuts in the { clean } coffee grinder. It was always nice and never needed any extra oil.

CommonNortherner Tue 15-Sep-09 12:25:24

I have told dh I want one of these for my birthday!

Peanut Butter Maker

meltedmarsbars Tue 15-Sep-09 12:26:57

That looks hell to clean, CommonNortherner.

Winetime, wouldn't the salted ones be too salty in butter?

CommonNortherner Tue 15-Sep-09 14:16:54

Luckily I don't do the washing up in our house

blametheparents Tue 15-Sep-09 14:35:32

Thanks for all the info about cashew nut butter. Will try Hollan and Barratt tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now