Talk

Advanced search

Do you swap spoons when cooking chicken?

(15 Posts)
bamboostalks Sun 13-Sep-09 19:46:55

I was recently cooking stir fry and my friend was there and was totally shocked that I used the same spoon throughout instead of swapping when the chicken cooked. She said this could be a food poisoning risk. Any opinions? Have I failed miserably as a mother (again)?

moondog Sun 13-Sep-09 19:49:57

Eh?

Spoon heats up as you cook.

This obsessino with food poisonig is completely out of hand.

snickersnack Sun 13-Sep-09 19:50:18

I never do. And we're all still alive. Never occurred to me.

snickersnack Sun 13-Sep-09 19:50:41

And at what point would you swap, anyway?

MummyElk Sun 13-Sep-09 19:50:58

um, i'm not sure....so did the spoon come in contact with the raw chicken? and then did you use it to taste the stir fry or what?
i think it depends on what you are using the spoon for but if it's, say, a wooden spoon you are using to stir the food with as you cook it, then no i don't htink you need to swap it once teh food is cooked. apart from the fact it's a COMPLETE faff i've never heard of anyone doing that.
However, if you, say, used a spoon to put the raw chicken into the frying pan, and then left it on the side, and then used it to serve the cooked chicken out - then i'd say that's a no.
I can't tell you why both examples are different, but i suppose it's because the wooden spoon would cook too with the chicken, whilst the raw chicken would remain on the other spoon?
Am I making ANY sense?!! Sorry bamboo - hope i haven't bamboozled you (ha ha semi joke, get me!!)

twopeople Sun 13-Sep-09 19:58:54

Message withdrawn

twopeople Sun 13-Sep-09 19:59:55

Message withdrawn

bamboostalks Sun 13-Sep-09 20:00:01

I touched raw chicken with the wooden spoon and then it cooked as I kept stirring it. My friend is a food technologist and said this was very high risk and that restaurant kitchens could fail an environmental health check if they did this in front of an inspector. I felt dubious as to the truth of this but cannot find much on internet to clear it up. Hence the wisdom of mumsnet.

bamboostalks Sun 13-Sep-09 20:01:27

Do you mean serving oout of the wok, say? Or if you transfer into a serving bowl?

twopeople Sun 13-Sep-09 20:01:54

Message withdrawn

twopeople Sun 13-Sep-09 20:05:02

Message withdrawn

DailyMailNameChanger Sun 13-Sep-09 20:06:59

rubbish, having been in lots of resturant kitchens I have never seen a spoon to use at the start of cooking chicken and another to use at the end of cooking chicken.

What does she think about the the cooked chicken on the outside of the meat touching the uncooked meat on the inside halfway through cooking?

bamboostalks Sun 13-Sep-09 20:19:21

Good point. I will try to bring it up again when I next see her without looking like I have been thinking about it so much! Thanks all.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 13-Sep-09 20:22:12

lol namechanger, you could go mad if you started thinking along those lines!!

DailyMailNameChanger Sun 13-Sep-09 21:58:06

grin The way I see it you need to show some common sense along with taking your precautions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now