Talk

Advanced search

Substitute for potato as a thickener in soup?

(10 Posts)
frakkinpannikin Sun 13-Sep-09 17:44:34

I can't eat potato and I really like soup, but unfortunately most tinned soups are potato based. I would quite happily make my own but have no idea what to replace the potato with.

Anyone got any experience/recipes/genius ideas?

MamaG Sun 13-Sep-09 17:46:06

rice!
If you add 3/4 tablespoons before your long simmer, it thickens it really nicely. I just use bog standard long grain.

echofalls Sun 13-Sep-09 17:46:40

how about using parsnips, I chop some and grate some and it thickens the soup up

Uriel Sun 13-Sep-09 17:47:31

Pearl barley?
Cornflour?

TheArmadillo Sun 13-Sep-09 17:48:42

thicken with cornflour like you would with gravy.

Or I think you can use arrowroot or standard flour (but has a habit of going lumpy).

You can also get soups that are thickened with bread (just stir in a load of breadcrumbs) - but they never look that appealling to me.

If you're putting cream in a soup that would probably thicken it a bit but depends on how thick you want it.

Beaten egg would also thicken it. Need to stir it in after you have taken it off the heat though otherwise it will scramble.

lizziemun Sun 13-Sep-09 19:22:07

There are some nice soups here which don't use potates.

hazeyjane Sun 13-Sep-09 19:25:38

Breadcrumbs make a nice thickener, and if you whizz up a load and freeze them, very easy (I add about 60g for 1litre of liquid).

You can also use butterbeans (blend at the end), rice or cornflour.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Sun 13-Sep-09 19:28:04

I use red lentils. They dissolve nicely and work well as a thickener. Also good in stews and are v good for you.

LeonieSoSleepy Sun 13-Sep-09 19:33:49

Message withdrawn

frakkinpannikin Mon 14-Sep-09 21:13:58

Wow, loads of great ideas. I shall experiment and report back. Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now