Talk

Advanced search

sorry but help me with the do's and dont's of freezing soup...

(11 Posts)
LemonDrizzle Fri 03-Jun-05 15:47:12

Please..

I have made some soup, I want to freeze it - can I?
if so how - in bags?
how do I defrost and cook it? do I cook it from frozen in the microwave or do I have to let it defrost before heating it??

I'm sorry I am completely clueless

scotlou Fri 03-Jun-05 15:51:28

Most soups freeze quite well - but I've found that chunky veg ones rather than blended ones don't do quite so well. Also, if it's a cream soup I think it freezes and reheats better if you freeze it without the cream.
What kind of soup is it?
I freeze mine in tupperware containers and usually defrost and reheat in the microwave. My mum does the same and she's been making soups for years!

Iklboo Fri 03-Jun-05 15:51:52

I usually freeze mine in tupperware, but I suppose freezer bags would be OK. Best to let it defrost before cooking as it's better for flavour and either micro or pan heat. Depends on the ingredients as well. What soup it it?

tarantula Fri 03-Jun-05 15:53:30

you can freeze it in any kind of container you like just leave a bit of space at the top for expansion. Id defrost in the mic and then move to a hot setting to warm it up once its defrosted. Or defrost overnight in the fridge and heat on the cooker.

suzywong Fri 03-Jun-05 15:53:48

put it into a frezer bag leaving an inch gap at the top, then put it into a container so that it freezes in a proper shape and doesn't just go blobby in your freezer and take up lots of room. Once it's frozen in to the right shape you can discard the container.

Take it out of the freezer a good hour before you want to use it then just squeeze it out of the bag in to a saucepan on very low heat in to which you have put a tiny bit of water so the soup doesn't scald and then put the lid on the saucepan and geat gently.

It's best to freeze soup with out cream or yogurt or any high fat dairy in it and add this as it comes to the right temperature as it could split during reheating

giraffeski Fri 03-Jun-05 15:55:44

Message withdrawn

LemonDrizzle Fri 03-Jun-05 15:58:46

Thank you very much!

This one is vegtable but I quite enjoyed making it so thought I might have a go at some others.

LemonDrizzle Fri 03-Jun-05 16:00:56

Does adding cream after defrost still mean it tastes the same as if you had added the cream during cooking?

Sorry I know I sound dumb - I'm only just getting really into cooking but I'm quite enjoying it!

Iklboo Fri 03-Jun-05 16:08:33

It should do LD, cos I only add the cream right at the very end of cooking a soup so it'd be the same thing.

LemonDrizzle Fri 03-Jun-05 16:16:11

Brilliant thanks guys

Iklboo Fri 03-Jun-05 16:20:54

Oh - and bbc.co.uk/food had some really nice soup recipes to try - I get most of mine from there. I'm going to make DH some sweet potato & red pepper soup this weekend. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now