Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old for peanut butter?

(10 Posts)
swiperfox Fri 03-Jun-05 14:34:38

ds is one in a couple of weeks and am trying t give him new things to keep him interested in his toast - is he old enough for peanut butter?

PrettyCandles Fri 03-Jun-05 14:36:19

Certainly, as long as you have no allergies (nor eczema or asthma) in either of your families.

compo Fri 03-Jun-05 14:36:29

If you don't have any history of nut allergies in your family then yes peanut butter is fine. You can also start giving honey from 12 months.

tamula Fri 03-Jun-05 14:56:06

PC - sorry for seeming dumb but how does having Asthma correlate with peanut butter?

Do you mean just incase it triggers a reaction as Asthmatics, Hayfever suffers and allergy sufferes generally meld or can meld into each other?
Only I was born with Asthma, no eczema but I am developing hayfever but I have eaten Peanut butter by the truck load since a child and still enjoy it now, i haven't noticed a reaction.

PrettyCandles Fri 03-Jun-05 15:04:49

It's a while now for me (mine are 4 and 2) but IIRC there is some connection between having having asthma, eczema and allergies in general.

FWIW, I was allergic to strawberries and some fish as a child, but was also brought up on peanut butter! When my children were at that early eating stage I avoided the fish to which I had been allergic and wouldn't give them strawberries until they were nearly two, but gave them peanut butter from age about 12m.

tamula Fri 03-Jun-05 15:11:42

otto Fri 03-Jun-05 15:21:03

Is there any test you can carry out to find out if they may be allergic? Or what about peanut oil on the skin? And is it just peanuts, or all nuts that can cause a problem. We don't have peanut allergy in our family, but plenty of other allergies. Ds is quite wheezy and had a night cough during the winter, so there is the possiblity of asthma.

tamula Fri 03-Jun-05 15:29:39

There are different tests for different groups of allergies that you can buy, it is called imutest or something similar!

I just found this, its an interesting read, will have to cut and paste

http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/article/view/111/1/11

slartibartfast Fri 03-Jun-05 16:08:26

"How old for peanut butter?" My granny was eighty and she still liked the stuff.

Alternatively, if it's a couple of months past the BestBefore date, time to throw it away

:-)

swiperfox Fri 03-Jun-05 16:40:53

Thanks guys peanut butter on toast for brekkie!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now