Talk

Advanced search

Waitrose Deliver V Ocado - which is best?

(24 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Fri 11-Sep-09 17:23:56

Right - new Waitrose opens here in a week or so! YAY!!!

I always get groceries from Ocado but was thinking of swapping to Waitrose Deliver.

Do any of you guys use Waitrose Deliver and what are the pros and cons??

Many thanks!

ilovegreenbeans Fri 11-Sep-09 17:48:41

Don't you have to go in and actually do your shop with Waitrose Deliver and just leave it there and they deliver it later?

Ocado does "internet only" prices on most waitrose own items now- 10p cheaper I think.

I'd stick with Ocado, personally.

thereistheball Fri 11-Sep-09 18:21:14

But Waitrose does lots of stuff that Ocado doesn't, and it's open when you are cooking dinner and find you don't have the thing you thought you did that you now need. My sister lives near a Waitrose and finds herself using both it and Ocado for different things.

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 18:24:23

Message withdrawn

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 18:25:51

Message withdrawn

snickersnack Fri 11-Sep-09 18:34:59

Ocado website is way more user friendly. But they don't do any fruit/veg/ meat that isn't prepacked

MitchyInge Fri 11-Sep-09 18:41:43

waitrosedeliver every time

it's fantastic - substitutions are often free, it's beautifully and sensibly packed, short-dated items are free and the drivers are much more shaggable than their Ocado counterparts

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 18:54:24

Message withdrawn

JodieO Fri 11-Sep-09 18:55:57

I must be really thick, I thought Waitrose and Ocado were the same people :/

pippibluestocking Fri 11-Sep-09 19:00:03

You've obviously never met Nigel then, Mitchy! grin

BethNoire Fri 11-Sep-09 19:01:36

I gte mione fromWD now,fab (no Ocado here though)

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 19:22:43

Ocado is quite a bit cheaper, especially when they've just sent you a £30 off voucher (plus free delivery, cos I selected 9pm)

MadameCastafiore Fri 11-Sep-09 19:34:12

Oooohhhh will have to try out the delivery from Waitrose rather than ocado then - I shop with Ocado every week and they don't give me anything anymore - used to get free chocolate and wine but now they know they have me I get nowt!

Oooohhhh - not sure I could shag a Nigel - stupid name - mind you DH may object if I shagged any of the delivery drivers!

Thanks guys - really nice to get some feedback and although it may be a bit more expensive the lure of getting free stuff and not having to pay the £6 delivery charge is kinda appealing to me.

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 19:44:38

Message withdrawn

PrincessToadstool Fri 11-Sep-09 19:50:19

Ocado by far - you can edit your order quite late, and you can get slots for the next day - but with Waitrose it's always in two days time

Ocado food is fresher because it comes from the warehouse

Ocado shows you actual stock so you don't get substitutions

I pa £10 a month for unlimited deliveries and have one every 4-5 days so I NEVER have to go to the supermarker

And you get a free copy of The Times wink

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 11-Sep-09 19:51:15

I think I know where you are Madame grin

My sister lives near you and keeps boasting about the new Waitrose - the biggest in the country don't you know! I think she's doing a countdown!

My sister stopped using Ocado as the stuff was really badly packed and often damaged, I have never had that problem with Waitrose.

SpawnChorus Fri 11-Sep-09 19:52:41

Definitely Waitrose Deliver...it's free delivery and they are just sooooo lovely ad helpful. Also, I seem to remember that some Ocado food tended to be a bit old, and they sold it in inconvenient quantities. e.g. you could only buy four limes at a time, rather than single ones, etc.

SpawnChorus Fri 11-Sep-09 19:55:19

Oh and yes, Christiana is right about the substitutions...brilliant bargains!

<<hijack - Christiana, we had a brief chat on here a few months ago about mother's helps in Edinburgh...did you find one? I'm MadamAnt btw.>>

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 20:01:02

Message withdrawn

christiana Fri 11-Sep-09 20:10:00

Message withdrawn

SpawnChorus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:56:15

Will CAT you for more details

SpawnChorus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:57:58

Oh bum...my subscription's run out. Would you email me on joneslye at googlemail dot com?

NotanOtter Fri 11-Sep-09 20:59:15

ocado

waitrose rubbish in comparison

MadameCastafiore Sat 12-Sep-09 09:03:43

Oooohhhh didn't know that you could get the unlimited delivery for £10 - that very good.

Will try out Waitrose Deliver for a few weeks and if they shite will go back to Ocado and do the £10 thing - mind you my new job is near where the new store will be so I can always pop in for bits and pieces as will have a couple of hours each day after finishing work before picking the kids up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now