Talk

Advanced search

Do you cook the lasagne sheets before bunging it all in the oven???? (Very quick poll please)

(28 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 16:28:19

just wondering as I have a recipe book that for some lasagne recipes says to pre-cook the lasagne, and others not to........

Scorps Fri 11-Sep-09 16:29:22

No i don't

bronze Fri 11-Sep-09 16:29:29

what does the lasagne say or if fresh then no.

hocuspontas Fri 11-Sep-09 16:30:02

No but I always make sure the sauce covers all the corners otherwise they're rock hard!

janeite Fri 11-Sep-09 16:30:23

God no. If you make your sauce quite liquidy it will be fine, even if it says pre-cook.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 11-Sep-09 16:31:15

Most lasagne now doesn't require pre-cooking - you need to check the packet to see what it says though as occasionally you find a brand that does need to be pre-cooked. I got caught out by this recently.

Tidey Fri 11-Sep-09 16:32:18

No, just make sure you have enough tomatoey sauce and cheese sauce and it'll be fine.

TrillianAstra Fri 11-Sep-09 16:32:49

No because it says you don't need to on the side of my packet of lasagne sheets.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:03

Mine says pre-cook but I never do. Who has time for that?

KnickersandVests Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:13

No. I like my lasagne quite juicy, with lots of bechamel so it's got lots liquid that cooks the pasta no probs.

Yum, lasagne, tomorrows dinner sorted.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:36

the pack (it's Morrisons Organic) just says "follow the instructions for your recipe" hmm helpful.

Shall make sure there's lots of sauce and put in uncooked - thanks smile

AnybodyHomeMcFly Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:43

No, the sauce cooks it.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:52

no.
Might do lasgane for tea now.

hocuspontas Fri 11-Sep-09 16:35:14

I only pre-cooked them once and couldn't prise the sheets apart. They all broke up and it was a disaster

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Fri 11-Sep-09 16:38:42

I don't but my MIL does. but then she's strange and cooks her veg for about an hour.....honestly!

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 16:40:24

ok - decision made thanks.

Now and even more important one while I've got your attention.

Recipe called for 6tbsp of white wine.

Unfortunately wink I've had to open a bottle of Pinot Grigio - I'm still in sole charge of teh children - should I have a glass now.......or should I be good and wait until DH gets back at some point this eening.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 11-Sep-09 17:33:29

Now, of course.

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Fri 11-Sep-09 17:47:40

No you don't need to. Just make sure that your meat sauce and your cheese/bechamel sauce are slightly thinner than if you were serving them on their own.

Cook lasagne in the oven for minimum of 40 minutes (cover the top with foil if necessary towards the end of cooking to stop it burning).

Even better is if you can leave it till the day after you've made it, as the pasta will have really absorbed all the flavours then.

belcantwait Fri 11-Sep-09 17:49:49

no i dont youre not meant to are you?

meltedmarsbars Fri 11-Sep-09 17:50:19

No. Life's too short!

TsarChasm Fri 11-Sep-09 17:55:17

No! I think there might be some lasagne somewhere that needs pre-cooking, because it does get metioned in recipes I've noticed.

But I've never seen it and wouldn't buy it if it existedgrin

TsarChasm Fri 11-Sep-09 17:56:40

Re the wine query..I think we know the answer to this shurely? Cheers! grin

PinkTulips Fri 11-Sep-09 17:58:55

wheat lasagne no, but dd's spelt lasagne is nasty if not pre-cooked... i was lazy and tried it once.

but then she hates lasagne so i just make it for me and ds1 and dp and her eat something else (picky nuisances!)

alypaly Fri 11-Sep-09 18:00:39

depends what it says on the packet...some you do...most you dont need to cook

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 18:01:21

oh bollox afternoon going from worse to even worse.

Firstly DH didn't get the bloody job (found out 20 minutes ago) and now I've gone to take the lasagne out the over and the top layer is like bloody concrete as the tin foil to stop it crunching over wasn't on properly FUCK FUCK FUCK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now