Talk

Advanced search

Didn't weigh the chicken, how long to cook it for?

(13 Posts)
LovingTheRain Fri 11-Sep-09 14:25:50

Am cooking a Roast Dinner and have just put the chicken in the oven. Forgot to weigh it and now have no idea how long to cook it for. It's quite big, it's to feed 8 of us. 6 children, 2 adults.

I've put it in the Oven at 180 degrees and covered it with foil.

Help please!!

TIA

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:30:06

1 hour and then check it.

I'd put the oven up higher tbh.

I have never wieghed a chicken in my life, just always checked to see if it's done after about an hour.

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:31:28

I'd take the foil off too unless you want soggy skin, and cook for first half hour on the breast side and then turn it over halfway through so breast skin crisps up.

LilRedWG Fri 11-Sep-09 14:33:01

Couple of hours at 180 with the foil on should do it. 20 minutes longer or so if foil off. Enjoy.

peanutbutterkid Fri 11-Sep-09 14:33:16

If it's quite big and you're only cooking at 180 degrees I'd leave it 1.5 hours before checking.

I usually forget to weigh mine, too blush.

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Fri 11-Sep-09 14:34:45

Haven't you still got the wrapper with the weight on?

I usually find that a largeish chicken takes up to 90 minutes - but check it from an hour onwards.

nearlybeans Fri 11-Sep-09 14:35:24

I never go by the weight. Have a look at it in an hour and see how it's doing, and then perhaps every quarter of an hour after that. When the legs have contracted, exposing a bit of bone, and can be easily pulled away, it's done.

I'm sure someone will offer more precise instructions grin

nearlybeans Fri 11-Sep-09 14:37:11

X posted there!

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:40:34

To check if it's done, stick a knife in the flesh of the leg closest to the breast (so inside the bone). If the juices that come out are clear, it's cooked.

ChopsTheDuck Fri 11-Sep-09 14:48:49

I wait til it is looking like starting to fall off the bone, then I stick a skewer through to the middle of the bird, then put it on my lips. If it is hot enough to burn (don't hold it there too long!) it is cooked. Not sure where I learned that one, think it was Jamie Oliver.

I'd say nearer 1hr30 if it is a biggie.

cat64 Fri 11-Sep-09 14:51:52

Message withdrawn

LovingTheRain Fri 11-Sep-09 15:04:19

Thanks everyone

It is pretty large, before I posted on here, in my mind I had planned to cook it for about 3 hours at 180. blush DD3 has 2 friends coming over tonight and I'd rather have it over done than under done to avoid food poisoning grin

Will check it when i'm back from the school run. Maybe I need to uncover then?

LovingTheRain Fri 11-Sep-09 16:32:37

It's had just over 2 hours now. Have uncovered it, put the juices on the skin and it's crisping up now. Thanks for advice everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now