Talk

Advanced search

Casual dinner-party: making quiche, greek salad, new spuds...and what?

(9 Posts)
faraday Fri 11-Sep-09 08:58:36

An old friend and her mum are coming on Saturday. I am making the above for all of us (I have 2 x DSs, 8 and 10) but I'm thinking of doing something else hot, like perhaps a plait? Or tartlets? Nothing too fussy and something that will complementary the salad and spuds. The quiche will be Lorraine with perhaps some goat's cheese for a bit of extra punch but that MIGHT be a tad too confrontational for the boys!

What do you think? Any ideas welcome!

BlueChampagne Fri 11-Sep-09 12:20:05

How about some home-made pizza? Might mean the grown-ups get more of that quiche with goats cheese. And it's great cold if it doesn't all go.

thereistheball Fri 11-Sep-09 14:18:21

Not sure you need goats cheese as well as the feta in the salad. As long as the quiche is big enough for all of you I'd do another veg, something like stir-fried broccoli with sesame seeds and chilli; or slow-fried courgettes with garlic and fresh basil, or roast squash. And maybe the spuds could be turned into a salad with a warm mustardy vinaigrette (just warm the oil before you mix in the vinegar and mustard, and pour over the spuds when they're still hot. Then scatter with spring onions once they've cooled a bit). Would go nicely with the quiche! Then you just need a few leaves on the side. Mmmm.

faraday Fri 11-Sep-09 14:22:45

Thanks all!

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:26:33

Don't waste the goats cheese in the quiche.

How about another salad like grated carrot and raisin or a mixed bean salad?

Sounds lovely, can I come too?

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:28:39

I don't think you need to make another pastry dish to go with it, as long as the quiche is big enough.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to selections at meals.

Maybe just some nice cold meats?

faraday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:07:59

Am liking the idea of another salad, esp grated carrot and raisin. Do you have a recipe pls?

Thanks!

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Sep-09 20:10:08

Hummous and crudites.
Trifle.

Pielight Fri 11-Sep-09 20:14:06

Something simple like a tomato and mozzarella salad with fresh basil or pesto and olive oil?

Have you ever tried Mary Berry's mustard salad dressing? Is quite extraordinarily good, and perfect to slop on top of everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now