Talk

Advanced search

low GI salads for lunchbox - but substantial

(6 Posts)
time4tea Thu 10-Sep-09 21:47:19

I've been eating Italian beans and tuna salad with onion and roasted tomato - which was fine but I need some variety. Does anyone have tips for good combinations that are quick to put together don't suffer from hanging around in a lunchbox all day?

thanks

T4T

overthemill Tue 15-Sep-09 10:57:31

my favourite recipe is so simple - brown pasta boiled for 4 mins, add brocc florets and cook for another 4 mins. drain and run cold water over to stop pasta cooking any more. mix with generous spoonful of green pesto sauce, top with still frozen peas and a handful of pine nuts. Peas defrost by lunchtime. i love it and have it 2 or 3 times a week.
make small variant with red pesto and peppers and peas.

also cauliflower and brocc salad. Par boil (but treally for 2 mins only) both which have been cit into small pieces.
drain and run cold water over to stop cooking. Make a low fat dressing (but i often use newmans own fat free!) and toss with that. Add pumpkin seeds and grated carrot.

next one is a cheat: prepare couscous (so all you do it mix it with boiling water as per pack) and top wit a little olive oil and lemon juice. Add a handful of goats cheese cubes or parmezan cubes or even feta. Then top with fried (obv in tiny amount of oil) onions, mixed peppers, courgette and anything else - i do a summer veg version and also a winter veg version with carrots, parsnip, swede etc. Also check out tesco or m&s ready made little pots of salad - they are good for inspiration!

Also my tip is to just put one or two tablespoons aside of whatever you have for your dinner at night for the next day's lunch - so veggie risotta, pasta etc - most stuff can have pasta or couscous and salad leaves added.

good luck - what are you aiming to lose?

thereistheball Tue 15-Sep-09 19:06:37

Cannelini beans with fried chorizo, red onion, tomatoes, parsley, balsamic vinegar and olive oil? Lovely with raw garlic if you don't mind gassing your colleagues.

Frittata? I like mine with feta and courgettes. And parmesan. But any veg will do.

Wholemeal pita bread with falafel, humous, salad, feta, avocado, chilli sauce? Assemble just before you eat or the humous will make the bread go soggy.

Humous with crudités - carrots, peppers, cucumber, sugar snap peas. Add olives, capers, feta and /or sundried tomatoes for variety.

Ham and cheese rolls: to cream cheese add some chopped parsley, chopped walnuts, and grated lemon zest. Spread in a thick line along one side of a nice slice of ham. Roll up into a cigar shape.

Smoked salmon rolls: as above but with mashed avocado instead of walnuts

Stuffed chicken breast (prepared the night before, cooled and sliced into a salad): try feta and sunblush tomatoes, or sage and walnut pesto (you need to make this yourself with lots of lemon juice and parmesan).

Pear, walnut and blue cheese salad.

Green salad of watercress, fennel, apple, a few grapes, celery. Good for accompanying things like the stuffed chicken breast or whatever you have left over from the night before.

Smoked mackerel with brown bread, cream cheese and watercress. Or just as a salad flaked onto watercress.

Spinach salad with bacon, blue cheese or cheddar, tomatoes and finely sliced red onion.

Lentils with veg: lovely with roast beetroot and carrots cut into largish chunks, and feta. Have with rocket or watercress.

Wild rice salad: leftover shredded roast chicken, avocado, watercress, dried cranberries, goats cheese.

Hope some of these sound interesting.

thereistheball Tue 15-Sep-09 19:11:23

PS - when I had gestational diabetes my nutritionist told me that the best bread for keeping blood sugar low (ie the least bad one) is soya and linseed. Fortunately it is really delicious. There are two brands that are available in most supermarkets, Vogels and one other, but check them because one contains sugar (the Vogels, I think) which is clearly not the point. It has a lovely firm texture and makes a very delicious slice of toast. I was allowed one slice a day for breakfast, which I had with ham / eggs / avocado / cream cheese / peanut butter.

thereistheball Tue 15-Sep-09 19:13:36

PPS - I forgot to include mushrooms in any of the above suggestions, but they are really good in the spinach salad and also on toast with some garlic, parsley and a dash of creme fraiche; or even nicer with cream, tarragon and dijon mustard and any leftover chicken you might have.

bran Tue 15-Sep-09 19:15:08

Roasted veg with Puy lentils (and possibly some Toulouse/other sausage), mix with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I always find it tastes better the next day

The Food Doctor does pouches of grains with lentils or with beans that I find delicious and you could add anything too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now