Talk

Advanced search

Grill? Roast? Dry fry? What do I do to red peppers (capsicums) to make them charred and soft for salad?

(7 Posts)
MaMight Wed 09-Sep-09 07:58:20

You know when they are cooked and the skin is a bit burned? For anti-pasti sort of salad thing?

How do I do that then?

mmrsceptic Wed 09-Sep-09 08:03:46

you could slice them, put them in a roasting tin with lots of olive oil and black pepper

about 20, 30 mins, medium heat?

you're sposed to take skins off after but i never do

Claire2301 Wed 09-Sep-09 08:10:04

a BBQ does it very well!!

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 09-Sep-09 08:10:40

We grill (skin side up) until the skin is black and charred, and then put them into a sandwich/freezer bag for a while (allows them to sweat the skin loose) and then they peel quite easily.

littleducks Wed 09-Sep-09 08:21:21

if you have time do th oven thing

otherwise (I got this method from Aitchs blw site) put on skewer and hold over gas ring turning till all black, put in sand wich bag and rub off charred skin, rinse and chop up for salad

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Wed 09-Sep-09 08:25:09

Best way, IMO, is to put them under the grill until they are blackened. Then put them in a sieve, over a bowl, and leave to cool.

Rub the skins off in the sieve, and pull them open with your fingers and you will find that they release lots of their own juices into the bowl that you can use as part of the dressing - no need to add any oil, just a touch of lemon/lime juice or a little balsamic vinegar.

MaMight Wed 09-Sep-09 08:27:21

Considered firing up the bbq but decided to try roasting in oil instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now