Talk

Advanced search

I know it's been done, I have tried slogging through the archives... PLEASE HELP - wheat and dairy-free recipes for DS (19 months)

(8 Posts)
Jacksmama Tue 08-Sep-09 17:58:36

Have just found out DS (19 months) is sensitive to wheat and dairy and other things (list to follow). This seems to be the cause of an acne-like rash on his face and upper arms which he has had since he was months old.

We had a blood test done for food sensitivities and I was hoping it would be something simple to avoid but it isn't sad.

He's still nursing so of course anything that has to be cut out of his diet has to be cut out of mine, too. Bye bye caffe lattes... hello tea with lemon... but it's worth it, of course, anything for him.

Apparently this doesn't have to be a permanent thing - but we were advised to do a relatively strict trial for 3 months to see if it improves the rash, and then re-introduce foods.

Please help me with recipes - any at all. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks... anything would be gratefully received!!

The List:
- dairy, except mozzarella cheese and Swiss cheese
- wheat
- gluten
- rice
- almonds
- peanuts
- green beans
- green peppers-
- onions
- squash
- tomatoes

Apparently, oats, quinoa and buckwheat are ok, as is soy (which disagrees with me though and I hate the taste).

Thank you all!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 18:28:31

www.parsleysoup.co.uk for great dairy free recipes. Not sure about the wehat though.

Feingold diet page might have some tips on too.

Jacksmama Tue 08-Sep-09 19:12:35

Thank you - will check!

minervaitalica Wed 09-Sep-09 17:31:11

What about:
- millet or pearl barley or quinoa salad with veg, chicken or fish
- mushroom "stir fry" with olive oil and parsley served with polenta (you need good mushrooms though). You can melt some swiss cheese on top
- miso soup with shredded meat and veg. You can also add buckwheat noodles to it
- A coconut milk veggie curry with rice (make sure you do not use a hot curry paste of course!)
- Meat and allowed veg stir fry on noodles.

Have you tried tamari soya sauce? It does not taste the same as the other...

Jacksmama Wed 09-Sep-09 19:20:57

Oh, thank you!!
I have tried quinoa and DS loves-loves-loves it. Strangely he doesn't care for rice at all. But will try barley or millet.
We have tamari, yum.
Do you have any baking ideas, by any chance?

BethNoire Wed 09-Sep-09 19:25:46

You know that barley contains a type of gluten, yes?

Jacksmama Wed 09-Sep-09 19:52:17

Er... no blush I didn't.
That is why I need Mumsnet.

BethNoire Wed 09-Sep-09 20:13:45

PMSL

Don't worry, we've all been there!

I wuld think rice will be the hiccup as so many substitutes contain it- have you ben given any ideas if you can start trying bits out again?

the feingold diet (salicylates - sp) is ahrd going but does have ideas for tomato free meals etc, DS1 was on that and the casein / gluten free one a few years back (just GF / CF now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now