Talk

Advanced search

QUICK HELP am cooking Quorn spag bol and its nasty, what can i add to make it taste nice??

(18 Posts)
littleducks Tue 08-Sep-09 16:35:35

So far Quorn, onions, passatta, dried oregano, fresh basil, no garlic as has gone bad

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 16:38:08

make it into chilli - add chillies or chilli paste

if not you need something strong - perhaps fresh basil or do you have a jar of pesto?

anything to cover up that quorny taste

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 16:38:43

I also find quorn very dry so passatta never enough, i have to add two tins chopped tomatoes too

Loqueris Tue 08-Sep-09 16:38:55

You need to get garlic. It will taste shite wihtout.
I'd also put some tom puree in (ketchup at a pinch!)

start off with cooking your onions, garlic (and finely c hopped celery and carrot if you have it) in some oil, with your herbs, satl and pepper. Add your quorn mince, your tomatoey bits and simmer for AGES. I often put mine into a ovenproof dish at this point and let it cook slowly for a couple of hours. IT really brings out the flavour!

If you've already mixed everything, let it cool and put it in the fridge. Tomorrow, cook some garlic, celery and carrots in oil with S&P then mix it all together and bung in the oven as above,

LuluMaman Tue 08-Sep-09 16:39:07

chillies definitely. are you vegggie? or just using quorn? if not veggie then add a beef stock cube.. a dash of wine and /or worcester sauce too

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 08-Sep-09 16:39:45

Beeef stock cube, red wine, tomato ketchup, worcestershire sauce.

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 08-Sep-09 16:40:11

Lol Lulu cross posts.

littleducks Tue 08-Sep-09 16:41:55

just using quorn, it has to be spag bol and it has to be ready at 5. Its kids tea for dh to feed them while i swan off to my new night school uni class

will add some lea and perrins and more fresh basil then and taste again

NorbertDentressangle Tue 08-Sep-09 16:44:15

No good now I know but, for future reference, the Quorn brand of mince isn't very nice -theres a much nicer one that we buy in Waitrose but I think I've seen it in other supermarkets. Its in a bag in the freezer section, has a green front, I think its by RealEat IIRC??

littleducks Tue 08-Sep-09 16:47:18

have chicken stock but no beef, that worth adding?

ElectricElephant Tue 08-Sep-09 16:49:20

tomato puree, more oregano, red wine, salt and pepper, lea and perrins.

ElectricElephant Tue 08-Sep-09 16:49:40

Have you got a veg stock cube?

littleducks Tue 08-Sep-09 16:55:30

got veg bouillon

is tasting betterish but is still pretty yucky, may be lots of spaghetti, a teaspoon of quorn stuff and lots of cheese

littleducks Tue 08-Sep-09 16:56:29

Norbert thanks but i think i will stick to mince, god knows why i bought this

neolara Tue 08-Sep-09 16:58:39

Lots of red wine and tomato puree.

SpawnChorus Tue 08-Sep-09 17:00:37

soy sauce

lea and perrins

tons of wine

sundried tomato paste

any combinations of the above grin

littleducks Wed 09-Sep-09 08:36:15

thanks for all the tips

it was edible in the end but did not go down well and most went in the bin sad

i think that is the end of my exploits with quorn, i'll stick to veggies in a veggie dish next time, much more tasty wink

BlueChampagne Wed 09-Sep-09 12:52:26

Bisto is veggie - even vegan I think but haven't got a packet nearby to check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now