Talk

Advanced search

healthy/economical but stilll 'cool' food for packed lunches? Any ideas please?!

(9 Posts)
overthemill Tue 08-Sep-09 14:05:56

my normally sane dd has come come this week v upset as she doesn't have 'cool food' in her lunch box. 2 things: we are very financially challenged so she has to have packed lunches at the moment (our income has reduced by 60% since I lost my job in june) and we are fairly keen on healthy/organic food!

she says that at lunchtime, nobody ever wants to swap with her as all she has is a cheese roll or a yoghurt and cucumber batons...poor love. so i rushed out and bought cheese straws for her to take along with a dairylea dunker and then felt so stupid and idiotic and very very guilty we are so broke. sshe used to be happy taking in tubs of hummous or pasta and brocc salad. but she is in yr 6 now and its a dodgy time for her as we are really struggling. so i'd like to get advice on 'cool' lunchbox food: a) that i can afford to buy/make and b)that is still fairly healthy.

We are growing some veg and are lucky to live in a village where people leave boxes of excess garden produce outside their gates for free so fruit/veg is cheap for us. I am good at baking (see my next thread on traybakes!) and cooking. My budget has to be no more than £4 - 5 a week (school dinners are £1.90 and she has one SD a week on the day she has a music lesson at lunchtime).

but if anybody has any ideas of stuff i can give her to compete with dunkers/cheese straws/actmel yoghurts/mullers yoghurts I'd be very grateful!

colditz Tue 08-Sep-09 14:07:53

Tiny apple muffins.TINY.In petit four cases, to 'share' with best friend of week, or swap.

alarkaspree Tue 08-Sep-09 14:15:46

Tiny muffins are a great idea. Could do cheese & ham ones too.

Are bagels cool? Quesadillas, maybe with a tomato salsa dip? Blueberry pancakes are not bad cold. You could do homemade cheese straws with a healthier dip.

overthemill Tue 08-Sep-09 14:18:42

mini muffins sound great - any recipes for those savoury ones?

blametheparents Tue 08-Sep-09 14:21:23

Might not fit into your healthy/organic leaning, but DS really likes those little packets of individual bisuits in his lunchbox, eg choc honbnob minis.
They are on offer in Asda at the moment, think it works out at 6 packets for £1

DS had a packet of these today, along with a ham and cucumber wrap, a satsuma, some chopped carrot and apple juice.
So, overall pretty healthy, but with a treat too.

wigglybeezer Tue 08-Sep-09 14:28:01

I've just looked up a good felafel recipe (from waitrose) as I need some good ideas too.

I have also copied those mini sqaures of flapjack and chocolate crispie cakes you get in tubs from M&S, I just make a whole tray then cut them into 1" squares, for some reason the kids think thay are even more of a treat.

alarkaspree Tue 08-Sep-09 15:16:22

The cheese and ham muffins recipe is from Tana Ramsey's family cookbook. Recipe here.

Scootergrrrl Tue 08-Sep-09 16:01:12

What about a home-made shortbread bicuit, topped with chocolate and coloured sprinkles? You could make them little so they wouldn't be too unhealthy (or in a tray - I've read the other thread too grin)
Or slices of home-made pizza topped with veg and stuff? That's really cheap to make.
Or popcorn that you've popped at home and put into a little tub? You can make cheese straws and stuff like that at home too.

BerylCole Tue 08-Sep-09 16:06:19

'Mini' stuff always seems to go down well. Mini pitta pockets with her favourite fillings? Little scotch pancakes with fruit as a pudding? Mini pizzas with healthy toppings?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now