Talk

Advanced search

Salmon steaks? Recipe ideas please

(8 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 08-Sep-09 10:16:22

DD and DH adore anything fishy, it makes me gip but that's by the by. Yesterday I got two on special offer and don't know what to do with them. DH will eat anything, DD views herbs and seasoning as exotic and won't try it. How should I cook them? I've just made a mushroom risotto to go with it, but, it doesn't need to complement the fish as she won't try it anyway. TIA

overthemill Tue 08-Sep-09 13:52:50

if you are a newbie to fish cooking this is really easy: wash fish and pat dry. put each onto a piece of greased (buttered or oiled) foil of greaseproof paper which is also on top of baking sheet, oven proof dish.

Salt and pepper (maybe one withone without for both their tastes!)generously. Add slice of lemon (if you have it, could use orange or even teaspoon lemon juice etc. Now fold up into a little parcel - assuming you have teh salmon across the paper/foil, bring the top and bottom up and fold it over a couple of times so its kind of like a pyramid and then fold in teh sides in a similar way but don't worry about these being flatter.

bung in preheated oven, 180 no 4, for about 15 - 20 mins depending on size of fish. it should be paler pink all through.
DH can add other herbs if you like (I like basalmic/soy/chilli) but for dd leave it plainer
enjoy

nannyL Tue 08-Sep-09 22:39:01

annabell karmells sticky salmon is divine.

mix tom ketchup, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, white wine vinegar and brown sugar in a sauce pan and heat so it all mxes togeter

let it cool, cut salmon into bite size chunks and marined for 2 hours (or ALL DAY)

cook it in oven for 20mins (in the marinade)

SERVE WITH RICE AND SPOON THE SAUCE INTO THE RICE!!! Yum Yum!!!

Hulababy Tue 08-Sep-09 22:44:03

This is lovely:

Baked Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce

Equally good with salmon steaks or fillets, this simple summery dish is quick to make and very healthy.

Prepare Ahead
The sauce can be prepared up to 2 days in advance, covered, and chilled. The salmon can be cooked up to 24 hours in advance if served cold. Chill until required.

Instructions
1Finely dice the cucumber and place in a sieve over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 1 hour. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Stir the drained cucumber into the yogurt and add the mustard, spring onion, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Arrange the salmon fillets in a shallow baking dish, brush with oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

3Sprinkle the salmon with lemon juice and roast for 8–10 minutes, depending on the thickness, until just cooked through but still moist inside. Remove from the oven and stir the juices from the dish into the cucumber sauce.

4Serve the salmon hot or cold, with the sauce spooned over it.

KellyDD Wed 09-Sep-09 11:12:33

Hello why don't you try this recipe:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/salmon-with-parmesan-potatoes/

nikki1978 Wed 09-Sep-09 20:06:31

Personally I like salmon as it is with no flavouring. But I always steam mine as they are much more moist and tasty.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 09-Sep-09 20:09:31

I wrap them in parma ham, drizzle in olive oil, season and bake in over for 10-12 mins. The ham makes them really moist and lovely

GoldenSnitch Wed 09-Sep-09 20:26:44

Make up some cous cous (100g plain cous cous, teaspoon of vege stock powder and 200ml boiling water - leave for 5 mins)

Pile fluffy cous cous into the centers of 2 squares of greaseproof paper. Add finely sliced spring onions and some halved cherry tomatoes (3 or 4 each) and a little extra vigin olive oil. Add the salmon fillets and spread with a tiny bit of crushed garlic (more for DH) Wrap up the greasproof paper to make a little sealed parcel, place on a baking tray and cook at 200 degrees for 15-20 mins.

Serve in the paper to make it a little more interesting for DD. A little soy sauce tastes really good with this if you fancy it. Just sprinkle over after cooking.

For you - do the same thing but replace the fish with a chicken fillet and cook for an extra 5 mins.

I do this regularly in our house. DS and I have the fish, DH has chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now