Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker. Can I load it up and store in fridge overnight then put it on in the morning?

(10 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Mon 07-Sep-09 21:11:28

I know this must have been asked at least a million times but I couldn't find it. I never brown the meat so can I put my raw chicken and chopped veggies in the pot and leave it in the fridge overnight, then add water and turn it on in the morning? Or will I poison everyone?

Ta

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 07-Sep-09 21:13:38

sure you can. why wouldn't you? (caveat; i don't own a slow cooker).

SoupDragon Mon 07-Sep-09 21:14:41

Why would it poison everyone? Would you not normally be leaving the chicken etc in the fridge before you use it anyway??

Overmydeadbody Mon 07-Sep-09 21:14:50

Of course you can!

ChasingSquirrels Mon 07-Sep-09 21:16:39

as long as you leave it long enough it should be ok - the only issue is putting things, and the crock, in cold means it will take longer to warm up. But if leaving all day...

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 07-Sep-09 21:17:52

i did try to buy a sodding slow cooker on saturday in tesco but this incredibly RUDE couple just refused to budge to the side to let me in to see them. ten minutes of waiting while they blethered about litreage etc and i just left. i'm never going to a supermarket on a saturday again.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 07-Sep-09 21:18:25

I was just thinking of all those raw chicken germs seeping deep into the raw veggies overnight It'll be on all day tomorrow and I'll start it off with hot water so it should be ok cooking wise.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 07-Sep-09 21:19:46

LOL @ litreage. Supermarkets on a Sat are the seventh circle of hell, no doubt about it.

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 07-Sep-09 21:21:35

funnily enough the idea of starting it off with hot water has just given me the shivers. better to take it out of the fridge first thing to acclimatise, i'd have thought. (but you saw my disclaimer).

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 07-Sep-09 21:23:34

it was awful... poor dd1 was crying and saying 'it's too bright, mummy, and too noisy'. mind you it was one of those massive ones, i've never managed to get round the whole place before a migraine sets in. i feel for the staff, the lighting must send them round the twist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now