Talk

Advanced search

Do people make baked beans?

(11 Posts)
missorinoco Mon 07-Sep-09 20:29:24

Following on from the favourite mumsnetter thread (with the M&S pasta) - there were a few comments about making baked beans.

I don't mean to start this as a vindictive thread about a thread, I'm genuinely curious. Do you make them, and if so why, and how? (I'm after specifics to try if it's worth it.)

Are baked beans that bad? Should they come in the same category as the mumsnet dreaded <whispers> sausage rolls?

I should confess now baked beans are DS's favourite food, before people think I'm implying they are beneath me.....

CybilLiberty Mon 07-Sep-09 20:30:36

Baked beans are fine and there are low sugar varieties for those that worry about that. I think Nigella has a baked bean recipe. But for me you can't beat a bit of Heinz.

Mutt Mon 07-Sep-09 20:32:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickytwotimes Mon 07-Sep-09 20:32:26

Baked beans are fine. Nothing like sausage rolls.
I did make them once and boy, they were delicious. Probably more sugar and salt then in the canned ones, but fantastic taste. Quite a long cooking time too.

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 20:34:39

i do certainly not all the time, and my eldest isn't keen on them so she has tinned while the rest of us have the lovely ones. i don't make them cos there's anything wrong with tinned just cos these are nicer. i usually start with belly pork and a mixture of different beans (pinto, black, mung) and cos i'm not trying to replicate tinned ones i make a super savoury dark sauce with caramelised onions (usually cooked in the pork fat), molasses sugar and soy sauce. mmmmmmm

vinblanc Mon 07-Sep-09 20:34:55

I have made them and they were very, very yummy. I think it was a Nigella recipe or maybe Tana Ramsey.

missorinoco Tue 08-Sep-09 09:04:52

Thankyou!

stiginthedumps Tue 08-Sep-09 09:19:21

Yes I make them - they are yummy and I add loads of other stuff in. I do also buy baked beans though.

missmelly Tue 08-Sep-09 13:39:48

Jamie Oliver has a recipe for it here

stressedHEmum Tue 08-Sep-09 15:00:53

I make my own baked beans regularly, but have them as a main part of a meal rather than as a side, because there are tomatoes, onions, a bit of bacon etc. in them. Actually, I cook with beans a lot.

There is nothing wrong with tinned baked beans, though, and I make them every now and again. In fact my DH would eat them every day.

KnickersandVests Tue 08-Sep-09 15:03:05

Yes, they're called Heinz grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now