Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Can I cook Toad in the Hole in a silicone cake tin??

(9 Posts)
melanielovescupcakes Mon 07-Sep-09 15:53:55

Bought some silicone bakeware from QVC and they're great. I have a square one and planning to cook Toad for tea tonight. Can I cook it in the silicone tin? Do I need to put oil in it? Help please. Gracias.

MrFlibble Mon 07-Sep-09 15:55:53

Shouldnt see why it would make any difference. You definitely still need to use hot oil though!

melanielovescupcakes Mon 07-Sep-09 15:57:34

thanks for that. I'm usually pretty adept in the kitchen (honest) but puzzled with this one. Thought that I should give the oil a miss, with it being non-stick, but I'll give it a bash.

MrFlibble Mon 07-Sep-09 16:24:14

Youre welcome. Im sure my mother told me that the key to nicely risen yorkshire pud was very hot oil.

thisisyesterday Mon 07-Sep-09 16:29:17

no!!!! it doesn't work
not entirely sure why, but i suspect it's ebcause the silicone doesn't retain heat in the same way as a metal tin does- possibly because the oil doesn't get so hot
i've tried it a couple of times and it just didn't work (am usually fine at it!)

pooexplosions Mon 07-Sep-09 19:59:49

Tried it too, really doesn't work right. I think tiy is right, the silcone doesn't get hot enough, for a good yorky hole you need really hot fat and a hot tin.

It will cook, its just probably won't rise properly, mine went all rubbery and flat.

melanielovescupcakes Tue 08-Sep-09 08:17:12

Back to report on the Toad. Wasn't great, although I don't have a great track record where Toad's concerned. Tried with a bit of oil, the underside was lovely and crunchy, but the middle was a bit wet. Think it would have worked if I'd cooked for longer.

One last try in a Pampered Chef square roaster.....

pooexplosions Tue 08-Sep-09 10:07:37

Try the tin, and really get the oil hot, almost smoking. I never got it right until I did that, it has to be much hotter than you think. Always comes out lovely and fluffy once I cracked that point though.
Now I am really craving toad.....

thisisyesterday Tue 08-Sep-09 14:46:36

yep the oil must be super, super hot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now