Talk

Advanced search

peanuts

(8 Posts)
lilybird Thu 02-Jun-05 12:19:06

could anyone tell me how old children should be before they are given peanuts?
my dd (2.3) was eating some at my mums at the weekend, just abit concerned.

TrophyWife Thu 02-Jun-05 12:22:28

its ment to be 5 yrs old.

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jun-05 12:23:14

really? i'm from the states and they feed their kids peanut butter from the get-go there.

my dd (23 months) adores peanut butter with mashed banana and oatcakes as a snack.

hunkermunker Thu 02-Jun-05 12:23:46

When they can open the bag themsevles

lilybird Thu 02-Jun-05 12:29:30

she really seems to love them and peanut butter, my mum gave them to her and then asked me whether she should be having them cos she could choke!
but she eats sweets the same size was my answer i thought i was more to do with allergies

hunkermunker Thu 02-Jun-05 12:30:33

If they choke on peanuts, the oil can go into the lungs and cause damage.

I'd steer clear of whole peanuts for a while longer. Peanut butter is prob OK, but I know some people say wait till they're at least three because of the risk of allergy.

Seona1973 Thu 02-Jun-05 12:59:49

if there is no history of allergic diseases e.g. asthma, exzema, hayfever, food allergies, etc, then it is normally ok to give peanut butter and other nut butters from 6 months old. (just watch out for any reactions) Info found here

oliveoil Thu 02-Jun-05 13:02:33

My dd1 had a bad reaction to peanuts on Friday , think I have a thread about it in the Health section somewhere. She had to have Piritin and has to go back tomorrow for a check up.

She pinched some of my toast which had p/butter on and the nurse reckoned the high content in it kicked off the reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now