Talk

Advanced search

cooking with children - good recipes and tips

(11 Posts)
lydiane Sun 06-Sep-09 20:29:27

I want my ds to do more cooking with me.
we do cook pizza together.
any other ideas? tips?
many thanks

EricBanaIsShaggingMe Sun 06-Sep-09 20:32:55

How old is he?

I just get my children invovled in whatever I'm cooking anyway - they do whatever they're able to do and take on more and more of it each time.

lydiane Sun 06-Sep-09 20:34:00

he is 7
x

KellyDD Wed 09-Sep-09 11:48:32

Hello you could try some savoury recipes from this website:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/kid-s-food/

But also try the usual favourites with kids - baking cookies/healthy muffins, rice krispie cakes, that sort of thing. How about cooking stuff especially for halloween?

You could get them to make spider cookies or pumpkin muffins with butter icing to make the faces.....

Or you could try these sites:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/favourites/kids-cooking/

http://familyfun.go.c om/recipes/kids/

Good luck!

LittleSarah Wed 09-Sep-09 12:02:13

Make fresh pasta! I did this with my dd and it was a great activity, took a while and she loved it. She was four. I really want to do it again actually but have moved and no idea where the machine is!

If you don't have a machine you can make farfalle quite easily (rolling out as thin as poss) and eat it immediately or dry it, or do ravioli?

I agree with trying to get him involved with your usual cooking but the pasta is a special one.

LittleSarah Wed 09-Sep-09 12:04:58

Here is a recipe and tips!

lydiane Wed 09-Sep-09 19:42:35

thanks for these ideas guys. very helpful x

Overmydeadbody Wed 09-Sep-09 20:26:50

I'd say just include her every time you are cooking. She doesn't have to participate, or stay with you the entire time, but she could do a few things, you could talk her through what you arte doing/why you are doing it etc so she picks up the basics of cooking.

For example, when you are adding flour to butter for a roux for white/cheese sauce tell her "I'm adding flour now to thicken it" etc.

IMO a lot of grown ups think they can't cook or cannot cook without recipes because they lack these basic foundations of cooking science. If you can teach her those over the years you will be doing a wonderful thing.

Don't try to only do 'special' recipes that have been designated 'kid friendly', just include her every day, whether it is just to peel some carrots, open some tins, stir stuff, mix things, help choose a recipe from a book, cleasr away afterwards it will all be useful.

Overmydeadbody Wed 09-Sep-09 20:28:06

Sorry, substitute he for every time I wrote her blush

Obviously you have a DS, not a DD.

Overmydeadbody Wed 09-Sep-09 20:30:06

Pass on any tips you have picked up over the years too, explain why you do things, all these thing are useful.

Overmydeadbody Wed 09-Sep-09 20:33:40

Another tip: Let her try doing anything. Children are far more capable that some people think, especially if they have an adult with confidence in them around.

Things like using a sharp knife to chop things. Just supervise and show him how to use a knife safely and properly etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now