Talk

Advanced search

HELP - someone tell me how to do roast potatoes!!

(11 Posts)
ElectricElephant Sun 06-Sep-09 12:47:58

How long to par boil, and how long to stick in the oven.

Just realised I have no idea.. (and my mum's on holiday so can't ask her!)

blush

laneyjay Sun 06-Sep-09 12:56:50

boil 5 mins. Coat in flour, heat tray with some oil in oven, add potatoes and shake to cover in oil. Probably look done in an hourish! turn once or twice while cooking. Good luck!

SomeGuy Sun 06-Sep-09 13:04:46

Heat a baking tray in a 190 Celsius oven with your choice of fat (goose fat is best, but any oil works fine) for 15 minutes so that the oil is hot, the oil about 1/2 cm deep.

Peel, cut into roast potato sized pieces, boil until the edges fluff with a fork. Then drain and shake the pan to rough up the potatoes, and add them to the baking tray. Roll them in the oil and cook until they look brown and tasty, about 45 minutes to an hour.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 06-Sep-09 13:06:21

what is it with the "fluff with a fork" thing. I really dislike them done like that. But I guess you would know whether you do or don't!

ElectricElephant Sun 06-Sep-09 13:07:38

cool, thank you~! glad I asked when I did, the chicken will be ready in about an hour!

throckenholt Sun 06-Sep-09 13:07:47

you can also do it without boiling

cut up, put in a plastic bag with a little oil, roll around inside the bag until coated, then put in a hot oven - takes about 45mins to an hour. If you put in chicken breasts for about 1/2 an hour two you get a quick "roast". My gran would probably turn in her grave - but it works for me

BertieBotts Sun 06-Sep-09 13:07:48

If you are having a roast, you should do them in the tray with the meat, they are so much nicer.

No tips though I'm afraid as I am useless at it - my mum makes gorgeous ones.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 06-Sep-09 13:10:24

I mostly do without boiling, as I hate them fluffed. Oh - did I mention that!

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 06-Sep-09 13:10:50

There's so many ways, personally i don't like them in flour, and never use a fork, I do however boil first and heat the oil as well as lots of sea salt and pepper whilst roasting!

ElectricElephant Sun 06-Sep-09 19:35:48

thanks all! I couldn't do them in with the chicken as the pan wasn't big enough, but managed alright.

Par boiled for about 12 minutes, then put on a warmed, oiled tray, turned them in the oil and nuked on the top shelf for about 50 mins.

they were lovely :-D

KellyDD Wed 09-Sep-09 11:22:25

Try this 'How to cook the best' recipe:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/roast-potatoes/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now