Talk

Advanced search

Low/No Salt alternative to Passata?

(6 Posts)
MrsBish Sun 06-Sep-09 12:08:17

I have been merrily been using passata when cooking for the family, until a friend pointed out that it's got added salt and she doesn't use it!

What's the best low or no salt alternative, or is the amount of salt not worth worrying about?

Am just about to cook a couple of meals (meatballs in tomato sauce) for friends who've recently had babies - but obviously don't want to send them salt laden meals!!

QueenOfFuckingEverything Sun 06-Sep-09 12:09:46

Those cartons of 'creamed tomatoes' from sainsburys have no added salt.

Or just stick a tin of tomatoes in the blender?

trefusis Sun 06-Sep-09 12:10:48

Message withdrawn

gigglewitch Sun 06-Sep-09 12:13:40

tbh we use it as one of our family can't have seeds and this is the only way that we can use tomato ingredients in sauce at all. IMHO there are so many brands around that the salt issue is worth looking into, different supermarkets and different manufacturers. The other thing is that I tend to use a portion of stock too to "water it down" as it were, which i have to say may also be salty depending what you use hmm TBH I don't think the content is worth the worry, if you are using fresh ingredients and fresh meat [mince] I wouldn't be panicking.

colditz Sun 06-Sep-09 12:20:04

It hasn't got that much salt in it. I'm sure not enoug to hurt anyone.

MrsBish Sun 06-Sep-09 12:23:17

Am just doing an on-line shop with sainsburys, so have gone for the 'creamed tomatoes' instead. Thanks QoFE

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now