Talk

Advanced search

Tall order relating to vegetarian curry... any advice?

(27 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:03:30

Message withdrawn

charis Sun 06-Sep-09 12:07:43

www.tesco.com/recipes/product.aspx?R=530&bci=4294967265%7CVegetables

this one looks nice

Heathcliffscathy Sun 06-Sep-09 12:08:15

yes of course. just leave out onions (would you consider some finely chopped leeks instead?), loads of garlic, fry in oil, bung in choppped vegetables of choice, sweet potato or butternut squash work very well, then some garam masala, cumin, ground coriander etc if you're going indian, or thai green or red paste if going se asian. then bung in tin of coconut milk. simmer til cooked. bobs your uncle.

MaMight Sun 06-Sep-09 12:08:46

Totally doable. What sort of curry do you fancy? Indian? Thai? Do you like coconut? How spicy do you want it?

Heathcliffscathy Sun 06-Sep-09 12:08:56

i think aubergine works well in curry too. ooo and pop some mustard seeds in your cooking oil and add some curry leaves if you want to be fancy pants (if you're making an indian version).

TrillianAstra Sun 06-Sep-09 12:10:51

You want a curry with:

no tomatoes
no onions
yes quorn
not from a packet (why? is it cos of the onions?)

Pataks do very good curry pastes - basically all the spices and stuff mixed with some oil in a jar - you take a spoonful of this and fry your meat/quorn pieces in it, and then add something to make it saucy (either tomatoes or coconut milk for example).

Is it the lumps in tinned toms that get you, or would you rather have no tomatoes at all? Passata is sieved (therefore smooth) tomatoes - you buy it in bottles or cartons in the supermkaret.

admylin Sun 06-Sep-09 12:11:49

On you tube there are some great recipes, step by step, I often use them or just browse for inspiration.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:12:34

Message withdrawn

dogofpoints Sun 06-Sep-09 12:13:42

I mad e a vegetarian curry last night. I agree that patak's pastes are very good. It was:

finely chopped onion (leave out if you want but you don't notice them in finished curry if choped tiny)
fine green beans, chopped
sugar snap peas
mushrooms
tin chickpeas
half jar patak's korma paste
tin of cocunt milk (so no tinned toms)
flaked almonds
coriander

Easy and delicious.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:14:19

Message withdrawn

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:08

Buy Pataks Korma curry paste. Follow insytructions on the back. Dont add onions and add quorn pieces instead of chicken. Korma as coconut milk or cream in it instead of tomatoes.

dogofpoints Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:15

Basically, put any veg in it that you like

Add chickpeas, they are tasty and good texture

pataks'a nd cocnut milk makes the sauce

add any little extras that take your fancy (nuts, herbs) or leave out

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:31

insytructions? Instructions I mean of course!

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:50

Message withdrawn

admylin Sun 06-Sep-09 12:16:20

Sweet potato recipes on YouTube here.

TrillianAstra Sun 06-Sep-09 12:16:51

If you like nuts I have a recipe for a very non-diet curry. Here - use quorn pieces instead of chicken and leave out the onion.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:17:11

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:18:13

Message withdrawn

dogofpoints Sun 06-Sep-09 12:19:29

fry onion in oil (if using)
add the veg and stir for another 5 mins
add tin coconut milk and half jar patak's korma
mix
add tin chcik peas
(add flaked almonds, coriander if using or just add to top when cooked)
heat up and simmer away for about 15-20 mins (taste a bit of veg, if tender it's done)

dogofpoints Sun 06-Sep-09 12:20:39

You can buy reduced fat coconut milk if you are trying to reduce calories

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 12:21:39

Message withdrawn

TrillianAstra Sun 06-Sep-09 12:22:42

When you buy tins of coconut milk you can choose 'low fat' coconut milk.

If you won't make the sauce out of tomatoes then low-fat options are much more limited, sorry.

Last night I did a sort of sag aloo - I cubed smoe potatoes, boiled until fairly soft, drained, put into a big frying pan and shook them around with approx 1 big spoon of turmeric, 1 small spoon on ground cumin, and 1 small spoon of ground blaack pepper. I fried them until with spinach leaves out of a bag until the potatoes were hot and the spinach was wilted.

janeite Sun 06-Sep-09 12:51:20

Do you really want to use quorn? A proper veggie curry would be so much nicer.

Fry a finely sliced leek (instead of onion) and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic on a low heat until softening.

Add a teaspoon of turmeric, one of cumin, one of mustard seeds, one of cumin seeds and half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes (or some fresh chilli). You can add some fresh ginger too.

Now add some diced sweet potatoes and butternut squash and fry for a couple of minutes.

Add a tin of coconut milk and a bit of fresh lemon juice.

Cook until the vege is soft. Just before it's done add a drained tin of chickpeas or a handful of frozen peas.

Fresh coriander to serve.

You tweak the spices until it's hot enough for you.

SomeGuy Sun 06-Sep-09 13:00:03

Best to avoid the curry pastes if possible, they have a very stale taste about them.

Quorn is minging, I would follow the saag aloo suggestion above.

oneopinionatedmother Sun 06-Sep-09 13:03:32

my curry is very low fat -

tablespoon oil
fry chopped friables (onion, garlic, chilli, leek, peppers, ) (pick the ones you like)
add fine sliced other veg (carrot, brocoli, cauliflower, whatever else eg baby sweetcorn) (again, only the ones you like)
add half a can chopped tomotaoes (or, chopped fresh toms)
add a little hot water if the mix gets too dry to cook the carrot etc.

add curry paste to taste (if baby is having some, split off their portion before this and don't add any chilli!) serve with rice/ naan/ potatoes.

i reckon veg curry with spuds/rice is the lowest fat meal i can possibly cook.

and one of the cheapest (though value noodles night just comes in cheaper)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now