Talk

Advanced search

Best gadget to chop onions etc with?

(46 Posts)
Podrick Sun 06-Sep-09 10:08:28

I want a gadget to chop onions, peppers and carrots with - what shoudl I get fromt heLakeland catalogue - the Kenwood mini chopper, the chopper storer or the chef'n veggiechop?

woodenchair Sun 06-Sep-09 10:30:58

I got a hand blender when ds was weaning and it's been invaluable.

It has variable speed so the slower you chop the bigger the bits. I hate chopping onions!

dietstartstomorrow Sun 06-Sep-09 12:07:47

I have a Pampered Chef chopper which is brilliant. You can't get it in lakeland though.

cyteen Sun 06-Sep-09 12:09:44

You need the Slap Chop wink

bitofadramaqueen Sun 06-Sep-09 12:12:28

I second the pampered chef chopper. It really is fab.

ZacharyQuack Sun 06-Sep-09 12:15:26

You need this baby

Podrick Sun 06-Sep-09 13:52:33

Oooh thanks for the recommendations! Will have to check them all out.
The slap chop looks amazing and good because non-electrical - but how do I buy it!!???

tassisssss Sun 06-Sep-09 13:54:09

oooh, i nearly bought the pampered chef one at a party on friday, maybe i'll get it next time!

Lilliput Sun 06-Sep-09 14:00:05

A decent knife! So much easier to wash up.

jeminthecellar Sun 06-Sep-09 14:00:28

Decent knife and fingers

Katisha Sun 06-Sep-09 14:06:37

Get a good vegetable knife - anything else will take up cupboard space and never get used after the first enthusiasm.

Podrick Sun 06-Sep-09 15:15:30

I don't want to cut onions up with a knife! I'm no Gordon Ramsey with knives and just want somethign to help me chop onions up faster and smaller!!

dietstartstomorrow Sun 06-Sep-09 16:17:18

That slap chop works just the same as the the pampered chef one.

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 16:18:24

a good knife. really. i had that pampered chef choppy bollocky thing and it was pants. sold it on ebay wink

millenniumfalcon Sun 06-Sep-09 16:22:27

why don't you want to cut up onions with a knife? any time saved (and i'm hmm that it would be any quicker) in the actual cutting stage would be negated in the finding-all-the-bits-and-getting-it-out-of-the-cupboard stage and the washing up stage. surely anything that involves chopping onions involves chopping other things too, do you have a "meat chopper" and a garlic press too?

Podrick Sun 06-Sep-09 18:48:59

Well I don't chop meat and I do have a garlic press, yes. I am slow with a knife and can't chop onions finely...

millenniumfalcon Sun 06-Sep-09 18:58:06

have you seen those demos chefs do where they chop it endwards on iyswim and leave the root intact to hold onto? it really is super quick if you have a decent knife. tricky if the knife's too small though. honestly, if you have a good knife (doesn't have to be those enormous chef's knives, 6"-8" suits me wink) and the right technique it's so much less faff than using a gadget.

millenniumfalcon Sun 06-Sep-09 18:59:47

like this (but without the ridiculously big cleaver grin)

millenniumfalcon Sun 06-Sep-09 19:03:34

using small/blunt knives makes it a bugger though. i've used one of these daily for the last 10 years+ and it's perfect for most stuff.

cyteen Mon 07-Sep-09 09:04:49

Sorry, I should make it clear that I only posted the Slap Chop link because I find the video remix hilarious grin Am a knife-chopping girl all the way - not chef standard by any means but I can't say it impacts much on the busyness of my day.

meltedmarsbars Mon 07-Sep-09 11:29:30

Cyteen, I love that video, but its daft that in order to use the gadget he has to first chop the veg small enough to fit in the gadget with a knife grin

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 12:41:45

lol @slap chop, i missed that first time round, class grin

ChopsTheDuck Mon 07-Sep-09 12:47:17

get a nicer dicer. Only about £10. Bit of a faff to wash up, but it is dishwasher safe. It's really handy when you need to chop large quantities for some reason. I used to use mine a lot for chopping stuff for veggie lasagne, veg sand filler, things like that and to make chips too.

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 13:02:24

does it work with duck?

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 14:09:31

I use this:

www.japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html

(the Suien)

I recommend a carbon steel with hardness of 62-63 and a blade of 2-3mm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now