Talk

Advanced search

Is pearl barley a type of wheat? And what other grains are good to substitute for wheat?

(13 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 05-Sep-09 21:42:40

I am going wheat free from monday. I saw a good recipe for pearl barley and roasted veg salad. But I am actually not sure if it is a type of wheat or not? What other grains are good for making salads with - I lovel couscous salads, but I know that is wheat.

Any tips please as going shopping tomorow!

deleting Sat 05-Sep-09 21:51:13

you can get barley couscous fron sainsbury. pot barley (holland and barratt) is less processed than pearl barley and lower gi.

deleting Sat 05-Sep-09 21:52:12

also what about quinoa salad instead of couscous

Prunerz Sat 05-Sep-09 21:54:01

No barley is not wheat
Quinoa is lovely. I have yet to persuade my family, but I like it a lot. They get freaked out by the little curly tail.

IlanaK Sat 05-Sep-09 21:56:05

Excellent about the barley couscous! I will be at Waitrose tomorow and look for it.

What do you do with the quinoa?

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 21:56:18

Quinoa
Rice
Corn
I make a lot of cornbread
Lentils (brown) good in a salad with vinaigrette and fetta and thinly sliced red onions.

Also consider beans-haricot, butter, soy ,aduki.

Why are you going wheat free?

IlanaK Sat 05-Sep-09 22:03:43

I love lentils so lentil salad would be good (though not with fetta as I am dairy free too).

I am going wheat free to combat sever IBS. Hope for a little weight loss along the way too.

deleting Sat 05-Sep-09 22:04:41

quinoa is sort of like cous cous in texture. you cook it for about 20 mins or so in water. it'll say on packet.

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 22:11:41

Staffordshire oatcakes are great too (Tesco do them now). Like a pancake only a bit more filling. My kids live off them as do I.

IlanaK Sat 05-Sep-09 22:17:20

Excellent thank you.

What do you all do for lunches? I am so used to sandwhiches!

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 22:21:28

I don't not eat wheat but my favourite lunch is brown rice and salmon and soy beans in a dressing made from rice vinegar, wasabi, soy and sesame oil.

IlanaK Sat 05-Sep-09 22:26:59

Thanks - sounds yummy. I think I need to eat more fish in general.

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 22:28:39

You can't beat a tin of sardines in a baked potato, with a salad of tomato, cucumber, red oinio and chilli and coriander.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now