Talk

Advanced search

Iron levels - 6mnth old

(7 Posts)
Laura032004 Wed 01-Jun-05 20:18:07

My cousin is worried about her baby's iron levels. She was 4 wks prem, and just coming up 6 months. She started weaning with cereal, baby rice, fruit and veg a few weeks ago, but will only be starting her on other things once she reaches 6 months. She's been exclusively bf, but has just started some formula as mum is going back to work next week. She'll be continuing 2bf per day though. She only has about 6oz of formula inc what's in her baby rice.

HV suggested vitamin drops with iron, but the pharmacist didn't know of any. Are there any? Does she need an iron supplement? I'd be cautious due to possible constipation problems - is this an issue?

Are any foods particularly rich in iron - thinking of red meat, green veg, apricots and liver so far.

Thanks for your help

NannyL Wed 01-Jun-05 20:53:42

I woulnt worry too much...

once shes 6 months move ehr on to 'progress' formular (stage 3 from 6 months) becuase it has extra iron in it, as that is when their iron levels start to fall.

As long as she eats a 'balanced ish diet she will be fine (along with the rest of the other babies that are too!)

tiffini Wed 01-Jun-05 20:56:47

I think Abidec multivitimin drops have iron in them, i have a bottle but my eyes are so bad i cant read the label

debs26 Wed 01-Jun-05 21:02:11

rusks have iron in them and are v yummy mashed up with banana

starlover Wed 01-Jun-05 21:04:11

why are they worried about her iron levels????
unless she has had blood tests which show that her iron levels are low, then she really doesn't need to worry.

If she is still having breastfeeds then she shouldn't need supplements, as although the iron levels in breastmilk are lower than in formula they are absorbed far more easily... so baby ends up with just as much! (if not more!)

Laura032004 Wed 01-Jun-05 21:15:48

I think the reason she's worried is because she was a few weeks prem, and I've been reading that as most of a baby's iron stores are built up in the last trimester, there can be problems with premmie babies.

Having read a bit on Kellymom, I think she should ask for a blood test before giving a supplement.

I think this might be a case of standard 'HV advice' just doing more harm than good!

starlover Wed 01-Jun-05 21:23:54

tbh I think she'll be fine. DEfinitely ask for a blood test if she's worried... but I wouldn't go giving supplements unless absolutely necessary.

Low iron-levels due to being premature would surely have levelled out by 6 months anyway?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: