Talk

Advanced search

Houmous questions

(16 Posts)
FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 12:32:59

1- how long does homemade houmous keep? Shop bought seems to have a relatively short life of 3 days after opening.
2- How long does tahini keep? I have had a jar in the fridge for months. It doesn'r appear to have a use by date anywhere on it.
3- can you freeze homemade houmous?
4- does anyone know how to make that yummy chickpea/onion topping you get on 'moroccan' shop bought houmous.

BlingLoving Fri 04-Sep-09 17:15:36

1. Haha - I'd keep it for at least a week. It's oil, garlic and chickpeas. Should be fine.
2. Tahini - I also tend to keep it for months and months and it's fine.

Don't know on the other questions. I think you'd lose a lot of the texture of the houmous if you froze it though.

missmelly Fri 04-Sep-09 17:37:08

I've had tahini in my fridge for months, at least six blush It doesnt go off as far as I know
I keep homemade hummous for up to a week, until it is eaten or starts to dry out a bit

I just made a batch today for my baby's lunch

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 17:43:28

Great. Thanks. I went to my local Tesco today and got chickpeas but they did not have tahini so the old stuff in the fridge will have to do.
So nobody know about the topping?
I'm guessing onion, chilli maybe and chickpeas but what else? And how?

IsItMeOr Fri 04-Sep-09 17:51:36

I've never made houmous before, but wanted to try for my BLW experiments on DS. I was thinking chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and tahini. Is that about right? Or will it be okay with slightly fewer ingredients? [lazy emoticon]

missmelly Fri 04-Sep-09 17:53:58

I made mine, just chickpeas, small clove of garlic, half a lemon, big spoon of tahini and blitzed it.
Must admit when I ate mine I gave it a good sprinkle of salt though blush

also, reserve the chick pea juice to loosen it up a bit, or add the oil, but it doesnt have to use oil

Overmydeadbody Fri 04-Sep-09 17:56:24

1. About 5 days I'd say, in the fridge

2. Forever. Well, at least 6 months.

3. Yes

4. Sautee onions and garlic, add chickpeas and cumin, cinnamon and a bit of chillie and fresh chopped coriander.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 17:56:52

There is an actual recipe on the recipe bit here but yes that is what I do.

Overmydeadbody Fri 04-Sep-09 17:57:31

Don't add olive oil to the humous, drizzle it over the top once it's being served, with a sprinkle of paprika and summak.

Overmydeadbody Fri 04-Sep-09 17:58:47

and I've never known an arab add stuff to humous the way tesco do. It is such a western thing.

missmelly Fri 04-Sep-09 17:58:50

oh i added a pinch of cumin as well

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 18:01:30

Tastes nice though.

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 18:03:31

That's great thanks.

IsItMeOr Fri 04-Sep-09 18:18:22

blush never spotted the recipes tab until now. I'm not sure where I thought the recipe of the week link came from...

But I had just been wondering how long it would keep, so this thread is very helpful!

LadyStealthPolarBear Fri 04-Sep-09 18:25:31

My MIL freezes it - I don't think it's quite as nice after freezing but no-one has died

FlyMeToDunoon Fri 04-Sep-09 19:33:38

I can try anyhow armed with that knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now