Talk

Advanced search

Masterchef challenge! Your ingredients are...

(9 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Fri 04-Sep-09 08:55:46

A bag of new potatoes
bacon
cream
eggs
cheese
tomatoes
assorted veg
selection of herbs
Usual storecupboard ingredients

What main course would you make? You don't have to use all the ingredients, but, er you do have to use the new potatoes as I bought them cheap last night and they are going to go off. Oh OK, this isn't really Masterchef at all, I just need inspiring!

TIA!

AvengingGerbil Fri 04-Sep-09 08:57:57

New potato carbonara?

TheArmadillo Fri 04-Sep-09 09:01:13

Boil the potatoes then slice them up and use in a frittata with the eggs/bacon/cheese and assorted veg.

Or roast them in the oven with garlic, black pepper and bacon (no need to boil them first). Then do a ratoutille or something with the veg to go with it.

Or roast the tomatoes and potatoes in a dish with onions, peppers, mushrooms etc (if you have them) then top with crispy fried bacon or cheese.

ABetaDad Fri 04-Sep-09 09:12:49

If you have a leek you could do leek, bacon cheese and potatoe pie.

Slice up and sweat the leek with an onion in butter. Meanwgile scrub and thinly slice the new potatoes. Boil potatoes for 10 mins until soft but still firm.

Fry the bacon chopped up into small pieces and ten mix with the leek/onion. Put in some nutmeg, and black pepper.

Pour the bacon/leek/onion mix into a shallow dish and lay potato slices on top. Pour cream over, then grate cheese on top.

Slam in oven at 150 centigrade until top is brown and heated thorughly through.

Serve with crusty bread and salad.

OmicronPersei8 Fri 04-Sep-09 09:14:07

If you have the time, how about a home-made quiche (quick pastry, then cook the bacon, chop, put in case with 2 eggs and small tub of cream. Season and add some herbs). Roasted new potatoes or just a potato salad, then a nice veg salad made by cooking them (not to much) and tossing in a vinaigrette. Ta da!

If needed I will go look up a pastry recipe - it's usually some form of fat rubbed in with flour, cold water to bind then in the fridge to 30 mins before rolling out.

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 04-Sep-09 09:25:27

Ooh loads of great ideas. You would all make the cut in masterchef I am sure (grovel grovel).

Orm I like the idea of quiche but we had that the other day for lunch so perhaps not this time.

I like the idea of Abetadad's pie- its something a bit different to just potatoes on their own which we have been having a LOT lately and lovely as there are, I do fancy somethign a bit different!

Thank you everyone

thereistheball Fri 04-Sep-09 09:43:53

Sorry to come to this late. Your first ingredients are precisely what you need for Tartiflette (though you can leave the mushrooms out of the recipe) With veg on the side. Maybe roast the tomatoes?

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 04-Sep-09 12:19:14

That recipe is making my mouth water Thereistheball!Do you think it would matter if I use simgle cream (don't have any double cream) and, er, cheddar blush as its the only cheese we have in?

thereistheball Fri 04-Sep-09 12:54:38

No, I think it would be delicious. You could include an egg to make it set but you might not need it. I would smear the inside of the dish with a cut clove of garlic as if you were making dauphinoise (which you also could with your ingredients).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now