Talk

Advanced search

How do I cook kosher steak?

(16 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 16:44:25

dd and I are edging towards vegetarianism, having gone off hormone filled, horrible meat but would like dd to sometimes have a bit of organic meat. Today I picked up some kosher entrecote thinking it might be better quality since I read each animal is rigorously checked for illness etc and I see the blood is removed to make it kosher. Does this mean I have to cook it differently to the way I would non-kosher steak?

(We are not Jewish and so it isn't important to us to maintain the kosher aspect really, just wondering if the steak needs to be cooked differently to taste good.) Anyone know?!

LuluMaman Thu 03-Sep-09 16:47:31

you might find it is not quite as tender, so cook for less time and leave it to rest for a minute before serving

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 16:48:17

far as I know you cook it the same as any other steak. Non-kosher meat is bled too.
Not that I know how to cook steak being a veggie but I have friens who eat halal or kosher meat.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 16:48:39

ok thanks Lulu, will have a go

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 16:51:07

Thanks Riven, I was so busy asking in the shop whether it was free of hormones and the animals hadn't been fed this and that and so on that it didn't occur to me to think how to prepare it, steak being so straight-forward really.

Since coming home, I've read that the meat is coated in salt and then soaked in water to remove the salt and blood so I think it is more thoroughly "bled" than other meat IYSWIM and veins etc are removed.

trellism Thu 03-Sep-09 16:53:18

Just the same as a normal steak.

You can also get kosher organic steak - DH is Jewis, but we usually go for either organic or locally reared stuff. Track down a local butcher and see where their meat comes from.

The inspection (and it's more ritualistic than scientific) happens just before and after slaughter - there's not so much scrutiny before the cow ends up in the abbatoir.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 17:14:48

I see what you mean. Since googling I have seen not all kosher meat is necessarily organic. For some reason I assumed it was.

We will try the steak we bought today. Generally though I think I can get by fairly well without meat or with just a bit now and again which I feel I can trust, dd does like her meat though so a bit of organic meat now and again is ok for her I think.

pinkmagic1 Thu 03-Sep-09 17:22:12

Kosher and Halal meat normally comes from exactly the same farms as any other meat. It is the method of slaughter that differs and also technically they are not meant to use an animal that is injured or unwell. So if an animal had broken its leg on the way to the slaughter house for instance they shouldn't really use it.
Unless its for religious regions you would be better sourcing meat from a farm shop that sells organic, free range, locally produced meats.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 17:27:40

yes, I bought it on an impulse, lovely old man, nice shop. We will try it.

Generally I would be happier if we just dropped meat altogether. We haven't eaten any meat for about 3 months I suppose but I wonder at times whether dd shouldn't sometimes eat some.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds quite straight-forward to prepare.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 17:45:50

my 4 were all raised as vegan/veggies and 3 of them are healthy teenagers grin
You don't need meat.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 18:15:38

Yes, I think you're probably right and we really don't need it. Dd has always liked meat though and eaten vast quantities of it so she does fancy having some, just from habit really.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 18:20:02

actuallythe way you wrote that riven, I wanted to know what happened to the 4th! grin

vinblanc Thu 03-Sep-09 18:21:29

Kosher/Halal is not better, ethically!

A lot of people believe that the slaughter methods are much crueller than ordinary meat.

As for cooking, the same way as ordinary.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 18:22:08

the 4th is only 5 and is severely and multiply disabled. So I cant really call her healthy. She's a veggie though.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 03-Sep-09 18:40:59

sorry, twas a bit blunt.

ZZZenAgain Thu 03-Sep-09 19:05:08

I knew you meant the 4th was not a teenager yet riven just made me smile because it sounded a bit as if 3/4 had come through vegetarianism healthy. Didn't mean to offend.

Slaughter is gneerally not particularly nice though, is it? I remember when I was about 14 watching a tv documentary on sheep being collected and taken to be slaughtered and it really seemed like they knew what lay ahead once they got there. They were being shunted along kind of open-roofed tunnels and were going frantic with it. You could hear the machines going and they looked to me severely stressed. Maybe they weren't I don't know of course but it wasn't great to watch. I did tell my mum after that I was going to be a vegetarian but since she told me that was fine, just she wasn't going to be cooking anything different, I did with time out of laziness slip back into it and I occasionally enjoy a bit of meat.

I just don't think it is healthy to eat quite as much meat as we tend to do these days and so much of it has no taste cf. what I remember from my childhood. Also like I said below all those hormones and who knows what rubbish exactly is being injected into those animals or fed to them. I suppose you could say something a bit similar about a lot of vegetables and genetically altered wheat etc.

I wonder too though just how organic all this organic produce and meat really is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now