Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a recipe for guinea fowl?

(4 Posts)
stripes200 Tue 01-Sep-09 16:17:46

Just had my Tesco delivery and guinea fowl were on offer yesterday: £2 off so I bought one but now have no idea what to do with it.

I'm not sure if I've ever eaten one before so don't even know what they taste like, are they very gamey? Not sure if I'll like it if they are but still, there's always a bottle of pink prosseco and a packet of poppadoms if I don't grin

TIA.

minervaitalica Tue 01-Sep-09 17:03:55

They are more gamey than chicken but not much more than duck. My mum roasts it with juniper berries, rosemary, garlic, onion and marsala (you can then do a yummy gravy with what is left at the bottom).

They take less time than chicken to cook because they tend to be a bit skinnier (an hence will not feed many people). Also need good seasoning to ensure skin is crispy.

SomeGuy Wed 02-Sep-09 00:40:37

guinea fowl is delicious in curry or casserole. So much better than chicken - they have a lovely thin layer of yellow subcutaneous fat, which is not as excessive as you would find on duck, but tastier than chicken.

Any kind of home made curry (made from scratch, not with a prepared paste or sauce) will be delicious.

I usually make guinea fowl tagine - basically joint the bird and coat it in ras el hanout, then brown with a chopped onion, garlic, then add a can of tomatoes, saffron, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and cook for an hour and a half in a moderate oven. (You can potentially add lots of things to the casserole according to your taste, carrots, olives, preserved lemons, etc.)

You can of course make your own ras el hanout blend.

I would serve with couscous, coooked in chicken stock, and then either half a jar of tomato passata, some roasted vegetables (courgettes, red onion, aubergines), and coriander leaf, or toasted flaked almonds, raisins and olive oil.

Would not recommmend roasting them.

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 01:23:55

roast in garlic, onions,sage,fresh chicken stock,morrel mushrooms or shitakeand mixed wild mushrooms and whisky. Then finish off sauce with double cream...rich but yummy.

serve on a bed of buttered tagliatelle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now