Talk

Advanced search

Added too much corn flour to my chilli!

(3 Posts)
VanillaIce Tue 01-Sep-09 14:54:50

I made a chilli last night and decided the sauce was a bit too thin so I added some corn flour to thicken it. Then I added a bit more. And a bit more. Now it tastes of corn flour pretty much more than anything else!

Can it be salvaged? I made a ton and got a bit mixed up with the proportions - but seems a shame to throw it all away, especially as I used expensive organic mince from the butcher - eek!

milkmoustache Tue 01-Sep-09 19:09:47

You could make a new batch of the onion and spices you probably started with, and add that to the rest. I would slowly fry a couple of onions, lots of garlic, then add as much ground cumin, coriander as you like, a teaspoon of cinnamon, then let it cook until all melted-looking. Then add it to the rest, put a dash of hot pepper sauce if it is still tasting bland, maybe some roasted red pepper, fresh coriander if it is not quite there yet... and then serve with lots of extras like pickled jalapenos, grated cheese to tart it up. good luck!

Knickers0nmahead Tue 15-Sep-09 16:35:06

I triede, and failed, to fetch the flavour back of my chilli when I once added too much cornflour. I just froze it and gave it to dp when he was pissed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now