Talk

Advanced search

What else to make pesto when you have no pine nuts or parmiggiano?

(11 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Tue 01-Sep-09 11:49:50

I only have a glut of basil and plenty of olive oil.

Is there anything else I can add?

colditz Tue 01-Sep-09 11:50:47

Oh Gawwwwwwd just buy some. Life's too short to blend pine nuts!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 01-Sep-09 11:51:57

I have to use up these three basil plants - they are bloomin' huge and there's no space on the windowsill.

colditz Tue 01-Sep-09 12:01:27

Ok ... bit of garlic?

wotmum Tue 01-Sep-09 12:03:24

I would be interested in the answer to this too, as DD can't have parmesan or pine nuts due to allergies.....

PinkPussyCat Tue 01-Sep-09 14:49:10

I have used a mixture of sunflower + sesame seeds in the past, seemed tasty enough!

minervaitalica Tue 01-Sep-09 16:56:18

Pesto with no cheese and a bit of garlic is still very nice - so I would not worry too much re: the parmesan. I know some people with allergies blend tofu in it to make it creamy, but I have never tried it.

Alternative additions to pesto can be: walnuts, olives, sundried tomatoes (all or some). You could also put in some cherry tomatoes and saute' the pasta and pesto together.

jamandjerusalem Tue 01-Sep-09 18:12:13

there are brazil nuts in the vegan version I've bought before.

Or you could make a Salsa Verde with basil instead of parsley?

madameDefarge Tue 01-Sep-09 18:16:10

Pecorino cheese is goats cheese, and often used in pesto. For the cows milk allergy sufferers.

meltedmarsbars Tue 01-Sep-09 20:28:34

I make a Carluccio version: using mostly soft herbs, a small amount of "hard" herbs (eg sage, rosemary), olive oil, salt, and toasted hazelnuts chopped up. And parmaggio or pecorino.

Mmedefarge, I thought pecorino was sheeps cheese.

KingRolo Tue 01-Sep-09 20:30:50

You could just go out and buy some pine nuts and parmiggiano?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now