Talk

Advanced search

what chicken joints for a cassarole?

(14 Posts)
mothersmilk Tue 01-Sep-09 10:30:40

i'd usually use breast but its always a bit dry and quite expensive what else could i use? and how would you cook it/ i.e bung it all in raw or brown it off first then chuck it all in the slow cooker?

colditz Tue 01-Sep-09 10:34:00

Thigh! Brown it first.

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 10:34:10

thighs with the bone in, or a mix of thighs and drumsticks

I always brown first but don;t use a slow cooker

mothersmilk Tue 01-Sep-09 10:36:41

why not the slow cooker?

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 10:48:49

er, because I haven't got one hmm

mothersmilk Tue 01-Sep-09 10:51:38

sorry thought you were sayng not to use one not that you dont use one thats all blush

Schrodinger Tue 01-Sep-09 10:54:51

yes, thighs and brown first

Hmm.. might make this tonight, thanks for the idea

StirlingTheTired Tue 01-Sep-09 14:59:10

I am a convert to chicken thighs - I use them lots now. They are cheaper and the meat is lovely.

I roasted 5 of them last night and removed all the meat and tonight I am making a chicken pie with the meat - and there is lots smile

AnybodyHomeMcFly Tue 01-Sep-09 15:09:14

yep def thighs, mmm chicken casserole, yum

minervaitalica Tue 01-Sep-09 17:07:24

If whole chickens are on offer, you can also joint the chicken and put everything in. Breast is a no-no for casseroles I find!

SomeGuy Wed 02-Sep-09 00:44:12

chicken thighs are the best for everything. Breasts are evil.

For recipes that call for breast, boneless thigh is much better. The extra fat is what makes it so tasty.

Jointed whole chickens or whole legs are also good.

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 08:33:36

...though thigh fillet is hard to find and I do hate filleting them for curries etc

Waitrose thigh fillet is expensive but worth it

fishie Wed 02-Sep-09 08:40:15

whole leg and bone / skin it yourself is cheapest and nicest i think. i make stock with bits.

waitrose usually have free range legs reduced as well becase mrs badger has bought the skinless thigh fillets wink

MaryBS Wed 02-Sep-09 08:49:56

Definitely thighs, they always taste fantastic casseroled! Drumsticks are nice too, but thighs are better. Breast is too dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now