Talk

Advanced search

Quick what do I do with a roast beef joint?

(12 Posts)
BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 18:37:07

Have cooked lots of other roasts but never beef. Do I just chuck it in the oven or do I need to do something else first?

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 18:42:07

HEEEELP! Somebody!

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 31-Aug-09 18:44:07

Yes, put it in oven. if it has a sexy elastic net stocking - leave it on - it holds it together.

Scootergrrrl Mon 31-Aug-09 18:44:12

I normally season it with salt and pepper and roast it on a bed of sliced onion which then makes a nice base for gravy. Hope that helps smile

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 18:47:27

Yes that would work I have onions. No sexy net but it's held together with string so have left that on.

DaisymooSteiner Mon 31-Aug-09 18:49:06

DH rolls the joint in a mixture of dark brown sugar and chilli then slow cooks with onions. Tastes amazing

frakkinpannikinAGRIPPA Mon 31-Aug-09 18:50:38

I sear them before cooking, but DH2B like the outside crispy but the inside rare. Onions are a good plan for gravy too.

Ekka Mon 31-Aug-09 18:51:54

put a little water in the bottom of the roasting pan just to cover the bottom and then pop the beef in. I know some people cover the beef with a little flour and mustard but I just bung it in the oven <lazy> grin.

Got to go and get the kids to bed, hope that helps!

vinblanc Mon 31-Aug-09 18:53:07

Just chuck it in the oven.

You can spread/dust mustard on it first, but this is not essential.

nickschick Mon 31-Aug-09 18:54:24

I put a knob of butter on top and a bit of salt sit it on some quatered onion and chopped up carrot and its yummy smile.

I used to seal it and use a bit of garlic but thats not to everyones taste.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 19:27:40

Thanks all- it's sizzling nicely in the oven, seasoned and sitting on some onions. Yum! <hungry emoticon.

netdaddy Mon 07-Sep-09 17:17:10

Definitely do not add salt to your beef before cooking....it will draw the juices out ofthe joint and make it dry.

Tried and tested method for roast beef is as follows:
Make a note of the weight of the joint and calculate total cooking time as
13 mins/pound (rare),
15 mins/pound(medium),
17 minutes/pound (well done)

Heat oven to maximum and put joint in for 20 minutes at max temp and then turn down to 190 deg C for remainder of cooking time.

so if you had a six pound joint and wanted it medium, total cooking time is 90 minutes.

20 minutes at max temp,
70 mins at 190
wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now