Talk

Advanced search

Crispy Crackling?

(8 Posts)
MarthaFarquhar Sat 29-Aug-09 13:14:10

Impulse-purchased a loin of pork today. How do I get a super-crispy crackling?

nancy75 Sat 29-Aug-09 13:16:13

dry the meat, score the fat and add salt, make sure the oven is really hot when you put the meat in and keep it hot for the first 30 mins of cooking

MarthaFarquhar Sat 29-Aug-09 13:17:28

ooh, that was quick. thanks. how hot is really hot? And what temp do it turn it down to?

serenity Sat 29-Aug-09 13:19:07

We take it off after the joint has cooked, and then cook again on its own.

Actually, to be more accurate - we sneak it off the joint before MIL chucks it in the bin (it's unhealthy, so she doesn't like people eating it) Take it home with us, cook it until it's all crispy and then eat it as a midnight snack. blush

I think rubbing salt into it helps with the crispyness though.

nancy75 Sat 29-Aug-09 13:21:10

i ususally put the oven on 250 for the first bit, then down to about 180

MarthaFarquhar Sat 29-Aug-09 13:38:50

thanks both!
<steels self for saturated fat overload>

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 29-Aug-09 13:48:04

It has to be good to start with - if there isn't a decent layer of fat under the skin it won't crackle no matter what you do.
But basically what Nancy said. If it's wrapped up, it's worth unwrapping in advance to give it a chance to dry out.

Flower3545 Sat 29-Aug-09 13:56:36

My tip is to score the fat and rub salt into cuts, leave it for 30 minutes and you will find the surface will be damp.

Dry with kitchen roll and rub salt on again, leave another half hour then put in a hot 250 degree oven uncovered for first 20 minutes then turn oven down to 180/200 degrees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now