Talk

Advanced search

Guinness cake - will it keep until Thursday??

(8 Posts)
strongblackcoffee Sat 29-Aug-09 10:03:06

Help me please... I'm not very experienced at baking, but I have to make a cake for my Dad's 70th on Thursday. We're away with them all week (leaving tomorrow) so I have to make it today. Probably going to make Nigella's guinness cake. Will it keep until Thursday??? Should I freeze it overnight tonight?

Help!!!!!

strongblackcoffee Sat 29-Aug-09 10:50:44

anyone...? [hopeful smile]

minervaitalica Sat 29-Aug-09 13:50:13

Frankly I only keep fresh "spongy" cakes like that for 2-3 days as I find that you can tell that they are not "fresh" (obv. trad. fruit cakes last much longer). Having said that I have never made the Guinness one so am not sure how it keeps.

Personally I would freeze and defrost well in advance on the day.

strongblackcoffee Sat 29-Aug-09 15:53:05

Thanks miner, that's helpful, I'll probably do that then. It's a bit of a pain cos it'll be hard to keep secret, but I don't really want to eat stale cake...

Unless anyone else can tell me anything different about this specific cake?!

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 17:13:47

It has fresh cream in the icing, so I wouldn't keep it that long - also it tends to dry out around the edges after a couple of days.

It is so lovely though but I think freezing is the way forward. Have you made one and frozen it before - would you freeze with or without icing?

strongblackcoffee Sun 30-Aug-09 08:39:21

I made it last night, and I have just put it in the freezer (without icing). Fingers crossed, but it's all looking good! Thanks v much for the help! grin

milknosugarplease Sun 30-Aug-09 19:32:59

Nigellas guiness cake??

god that things delicious!!!

mmm i want some now!!

xx

milknosugarplease Sun 30-Aug-09 19:35:41

if you havent iced it it will be fine in freezer-just let it getto room temp before serving

if you have iced it...i dont think it will work

good luck!
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now