Talk

Advanced search

are fruit pots/pouches/tubs etc bad?

(8 Posts)
bumbly Thu 27-Aug-09 22:06:09

they claim to be one portion of fruit and my two year old loves them

so i give him once a day for snack two of them - puree pots or two sachets/pouches

but suddenly panicking am giving little one too much sugar

any comments welcome

Littlefish Thu 27-Aug-09 22:09:37

I hope not because they are the only form of fruit my 4 yr old will eat!

bumbly Thu 27-Aug-09 22:12:55

second that - each sachet has 11-12 grams sugar so am giving him appro 22-24 grams in one go

just curious to know if that is actually an ok dose or bad? and not a juice as such but mashed fruit...

is it that bad really?

do you give them everyday too??

SansSerif Thu 27-Aug-09 22:14:53

DS1 loves the fruit pouches (he will eat the fruit pots too but only with a straw, not a spoon hmm). He has one most days. No different from fruit juice or a smoothie, really, is it?

In any case he is a) a fussy bugger and b) a skinny whippet so buggered if I'm going to restrict something healthy that he likes eating...

Littlefish Thu 27-Aug-09 22:15:20

Most days - she has them instead of yoghurt instead. I should look up the sugar content of yoghurt and compare them.

If I'm honest, I've never looked at the sugar content in them. She has very little other sugar, so I'm not really worried.

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Thu 27-Aug-09 22:17:11

It's just fruit isn't it? Obviously it's full of natural sugars (fructose) but as long as there's no added sugar I think they're fine. As long as you brush their teeth properly! smile

bumbly Thu 27-Aug-09 22:18:37

glad i am not alone and yes my littl eone too has little sugar elsewhere in the day - well most days

AcademicMum Thu 27-Aug-09 22:26:56

Fruit of any kind is actually surprisingly high in sugar and therefore dentists don't like people to have more than 2 portions of fruit per day (with the remainder being veg). The fruit pots are generally 100% fruit I think and therefore just as fine as any other fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now