Talk

Advanced search

help please! feeding 5 for supper tomorrow, 2/5 dont eat meat, want to do something truly yummy. and cheap.

(20 Posts)
civilfawlty Thu 27-Aug-09 15:52:52

I need supper options which arent variations on roasted veg!

Also - on a tight budget, so really want CHEAP options.

arrghhh.

epithet Thu 27-Aug-09 15:55:34

What about a Spanish omelette or frittata with bread & salad? Just need eggs, potatoes, onions, garlic & whatever else you fancy bunging in - peas, mushrooms, anything.

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 15:57:54

Risotto?

Veggie lasagne and salad - although maybe too likeroasted vege?

Puy lentil casserole?

Tagine and cous cous?

Dophus Thu 27-Aug-09 15:59:42

Was going suggest risotto - but already on here

quiches can be very yummy

weegiemum Thu 27-Aug-09 16:02:59

What about fajitas?

Seperate dishes of stir fried onions, peppers, (chicken if you want), rice, corn, cheese, salsa and tortilla wraps.

then everyone can construct their own, and the veggies can avoid meat.

You could even splash out on guacamole or refried beans to add a more authentic mexican flavour.

Still pretty cheap though.

StirlingTheTired Thu 27-Aug-09 16:06:05

This Bean Goulash is really tasty - you could spiceit up more by adding chilli powder or fresh chilli if you want to.

You could also serve it with tortillas (wraps) and some sour cream and salsa for people to make their own wraps. We are meat eaters and we love it smile

MrSeptember Thu 27-Aug-09 16:58:05

Good pasta? Roasted tomato with pesto, avocado and feta cheese is nice? Or a mushroom pasta?

GossipMonger Thu 27-Aug-09 16:59:51

Broccoli and anchovy pasta

salad

French bread

Meringues and fruit

meep Thu 27-Aug-09 17:01:53

mushroom and sweet potato lasagne.

Get one of those big trays of value mushrooms and a couple of sweet potatoes. Roast the potatoes and fry mushrooms and garlic. Layer up with white sauce and sprinkle parmesan cheese on each layer. Totally yummy!

doggiesayswoof Thu 27-Aug-09 17:03:43

(If they are veggies they will not eat anchovies)

I would do risotto, or some sort of pasta, or veg chilli

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Thu 27-Aug-09 17:12:51

Onion bhajis, tarka dhal and almond rice from last night's economy gastronomy?

notevenamousie Thu 27-Aug-09 17:30:26

Homemade pizza - costs next to nothing is you make the dough from scratch, value tomatoes, peppers, etc, and cheese. Smells and looks wonderful!

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:36:40

Meep - that sounds lovely.

civilfawlty Thu 27-Aug-09 19:37:03

thanks all. delicious ideas which have inspired this weeks shopping.

decided to do chilli-baked feta and home made flat bread to start, fish cakes, lentils and spinach, and then chocolate pots (because despite what all the chefs say, still tastes perfectly good using 27p dark choc from morrisons!)

total cost £12 for six (another pal coming) and there'll be enough fishcakes for me and dd on monday!

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:38:05

What about the veggies though?

Chilli baked feta sounds fab.

civilfawlty Thu 27-Aug-09 19:48:35

ah - they eat fish, just no meat.

mmm - the feta is amazing - literally make a parcel using foil and put in chilli and garlic and lemon rind and black pepper and olive oil and bake for a while. so incredibly delicious. jeez i'm hungry!

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:53:15

Yum - that sounds wonderful.

BlingLoving Thu 27-Aug-09 19:59:34

That sounds good - the feta baked things. Delicious. Must try that.
I was going to suggest a salsa with grilled mackerel. Goes well.

jellyjelly Sun 30-Aug-09 13:59:34

I know its maybe passed but i made tabbolueh last night and it was truly lovely. I made it for four and it was delish so much so that i am eating leftover for lunch.

KnitterInTheNW Sun 30-Aug-09 14:14:33

I'm veggie and have made lasagne a few times when meat eaters have been round, they've always had 2nd helpings.

This is how I make it.

Soften onions, garlic, mushrooms, courgettes, at least 2 different colours of pepper, and cut up black olives in some olive oil. When they're soft, add a can or 2 of tinned toms, a squirt of tom puree, a bag of frozen mince style meat substitute, some oregano and some veg stock. Simmer for a bit then sprinkle some veg gravy granules in to thicken it a bit. Layer in dish with lasagne sheets and top with homemade cheese sauce with a lot of cheese in! My mouth is watering now...

I normally make it in advance then just oven bake it for about 30-45 mins before serving. Fab with salad and garlic bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now