Talk

Advanced search

Help for clumsy cooking idiot - I dropped the black pepper jar in a vat of leek and potato soup and its so hot no one will eat it

(11 Posts)
HairyMuff Tue 25-Aug-09 19:13:27

Anyone got any ideas on how to tone down the black pepperry taste - it blows your head off. Would natural yogurt or something work?

I've made a massive panful and it'll have to go in the bin if I can't calm it down <<wails>>

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 19:14:20

Oh dear - dd1 did this once with her bowl of soup. She put some creme fraiche and a bit of milk in it.

HairyMuff Tue 25-Aug-09 19:19:24

I thought I'd add a load more milk to it which might calm it down, so I did that and all I have now is more bloody hot peppery soup, gah! Hasn't made the slightest difference. Bugger.

Its such a waste if I have to bin it <<puts head in hands>>

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 19:22:21

When you over-salt things you're supposed to put a potato in and cook a bit more. No idea if that would work though.

Scootergrrrl Tue 25-Aug-09 19:24:39

For over-hot curry, you can put in lemon juice and sugar. Might be worth a try?

MummyElk Tue 25-Aug-09 19:25:36

cream? lots of it?

HairyMuff Tue 25-Aug-09 19:30:34

lemon juice and sugar? really? - just don't know if I'm brave enough to add that to a leek and pototo soup - mind you its ruined already so it can't do any more harm. I have some in the cupboard. Wouldn't I end up with a lemony leek and potato soup?

Scootergrrrl Tue 25-Aug-09 19:39:55

You could put a little bit in a dish and then add it in gradually. I know it works with curry but haven't ever tried it with leek and potato soup!

HairyMuff Tue 25-Aug-09 19:42:14

Good one, will try a little bowl with lemon juice and sugar in.

Will report back if anyones interested <<better thngs to do with their lives emotion>>

HairyMuff Tue 25-Aug-09 20:10:15

ok, well I think its slightly milder with the lemon (hard to tell as mouth feels hot anyway from past attmepts to eat it - kids are flatly refusing to go anywhere near it) but think I can taste underlying lemons now in the soup.

Will buy some cream tomorrow and add that and lemons to big vat and see what happens.

Thanks all! You're fab (mwah, mwah)

Littlefish Tue 25-Aug-09 20:42:15

Could you make up another huge batch of soup, without any seasoning in it, and then mix the two together?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now