Talk

Advanced search

I need some simple ideas to feed ex chef DH and the children

(7 Posts)
deckchair Tue 25-Aug-09 14:16:55

My dh is a fantastic cook - used to be a chef and so produces some brilliant meals. It is fair to say that he can produce something out of nothing!

I am not the best or most confident cook - I feel the pressure all the time.

I can bake and enjoy that but feeding my family is one of the hardest things I do.

dd is off to school next week and I have suggested to DH that I will cook 3 of the days and we will all eat together. Normally the children eat earlier and dh cooks our tea later
This is a massive thing for me and I am stressing about it.

Please help me!

I think I will have about 45mins each day whilst lo in in bed to prepare.

Thanks in advance
smile

colditz Tue 25-Aug-09 14:18:22

Pasta.

colditz Tue 25-Aug-09 14:18:40

And don't let him critisise you

snice Tue 25-Aug-09 14:20:36

Get Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food from the library-lots of good simple ideas including very good curries if you like them

midnightexpress Tue 25-Aug-09 14:21:52

'This is a massive thing for me and I am stressing about it.'

That is a bit worrying - eating together should just be a part of life, not something to get all stressed about - he's your husband fgs. And especially important not to get yer knickers in a twist about it if you onlyhave 45mins to cook. What can he expect?

Anyway, stern talkings-to aside, how about:

Home-made pizza - v quick to whip up dough in the mixer and a quick sauce. LO can help put on toppings (not sure how old LO is?). Serve with a green salad (out of a bag if necessary).

Shepherd's pie wouldn't take long to prep - do the sauce when LO is asleep and peel the potatoes, then flingit in the oven for half an hour before dinner time.

deckchair Tue 25-Aug-09 14:33:56

He tries his best not to critise me but I do take things he says a bit too personally as we all know he is fab cook.

Any other ideas please?

deckchair Tue 25-Aug-09 14:41:56

Snice - will do that next time I am there.

Midnight - yes you are right, I should not get stressed about it. Dh can prep up in next to no time, and has the experience of catering for many.
LO is 20months.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now