Talk

Advanced search

Weetabix bitesize - ok for BLW?

(11 Posts)
pookamoo Tue 25-Aug-09 08:57:04

In Gill Rapley's book it suggests weetabix as a breakfast. DD is 9 months, so I'm not worried about her having gluten/wheat, and I thought weetabix bitesize would be good as they are little person size.

But when I looked at them, they were sort of shiny. Checked the packet, and sugar is the third ingredient. It says 4.4g of sugar per 100g, which seems quite high to me, although in comparison the Goodies moon biscuits have 18.4g shock sugar per 100g.

What do we think? Ok for her or not? She seems to like them, gave them a good old suck, anyway! grin

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 09:02:41

better are bitesize Shredded Wheat which have no added sugar or salt at all - splosh with milk to make them softer.
Weetabix not the end of the world obv, but if there's a better alternative that's just as easy I'd go for that.

the Organix and Goodies biscuits are a huge con IMO - better to give them rich tea fingers

Harimad Tue 25-Aug-09 16:20:26

And you can get Oatibix bites if you want to avoid wheat...

pookamoo Tue 25-Aug-09 20:41:26

Thanks. I was looking for the shredded wheat ones but I think they must have sold out.
I agree about the Organix and Goodies, they are a bit of a trick really, but were on special offer!

ThePinkOne Tue 25-Aug-09 20:51:28

I found the shredded wheat just disintegrated! I managed too much milk the first day and the not enough the next time! Will try again.

Pingpong Tue 25-Aug-09 20:58:45

I bought the mini weetabix for DD a while ago as she wasn't interested in porridge or big weetabix but when I tasted them they tasted very sugary to me so I ate them all myself ! I'm not very good at reading (and understanding the goobledegook on packet labels.
I give her shreddies (or supermarket own brand) with a few of the fruit filled shredded wheats (again supermarket own branded ones) - I do know they have added sugar but I only give her a few. She has this mixture everyday and still likes to pick them up with her fingers although is getting better with her spoon now at 16m. I found them to be ideal for little fingers.
I found the oatbix pretty sweet as well.
I also second the rich tea fingers suggestion - very popular with DD and at about 40p a pack so much cheaper than Organix stuff.

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 21:21:57

re disintegrating mini wheats - pour milk on then immeidately pour it all off (into your own cereal is a good plan)

ThePinkOne Tue 25-Aug-09 21:31:56

Thanks MrsB. I'll give that a try in the morning although I'm not sure I want breastmilk on my cereal!

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 21:43:11

oh
er
blush
put the excess back in the fridge to soak tomorrow morning's then?

(dd had full-fat cow's and I lurved it)

ThePinkOne Tue 25-Aug-09 22:49:21

grin

ThePinkOne Thu 27-Aug-09 22:15:28

Tried with cows milk this morning and it would appear that's the way to go. I guess they soak up more bm quicker for some reason hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now